• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Google Shuts Down Stadia

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member

More of a news item than a "gaming" item... so I was a bit torn over putting this here or in GD... but nevertheless...

Less than one week after Google declared they were "committed" to Stadia... they shut it down.

This is eerily reminiscent of when Samsung suddenly pulled out of the camera market that they'd JUST entered...

Only... unlike Samsung... there were a TON of developers in the process of creating games for the Stadia... and they received no warning at all.

I would imagine a barrage of lawsuits will follow.

New Year's Day... it's all over.

cant say i didnt see this coming

negative latency so good it undid the launch of stadia

More of a news item than a "gaming" item... so I was a bit torn over putting this here or in GD... but nevertheless...

Less than one week after Google declared they were "committed" to Stadia... they shut it down.

This is eerily reminiscent of when Samsung suddenly pulled out of the camera market that they'd JUST entered...

Only... unlike Samsung... there were a TON of developers in the process of creating games for the Stadia... and they received no warning at all.

I would imagine a barrage of lawsuits will follow.

New Year's Day... it's all over.

And ironically, the people on the team found out around the same time that Google announced that they were shutting it down.

As @Niku-Sama stated, I can't say I'm at all surprised. It was an, at best, interesting idea for a service. But they were beaten so badly by Geforce Now and especially xbox gamepass. If they had put forth effort to make it work well for Free to Play games and did a subscribe but all-you-can-play subscription then I could have seen it be more successful. [One of] the last things I would want to do is buy a game, that I can only stream, at full price, from Google.

Never bought into it....

Google said Refunding all games and hardware bought through the Stadia store.

Lets face they started at the worst time...Pandemic hit, folks were stuck online looking for things to do...Gaming on line was at its most popular...How could they succeed... :unsure: :p

Back