• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got a new toy.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Th3 F4ll3n P1mp

Disabled
Just got a Compaq Presario E700 to replace my fried HP Pavilion dv2000. Anything fun I can do with it? Any modding on the mobo? Overclocking? Anything slightly interesting?

isn't this the second laptop you've fried? I would be more carful with this one and skip the whole modding/overclocking thing. your parents must be getting tired of buying you computer stuff, oh fallen one.

isn't this the second laptop you've fried? I would be more carful with this one and skip the whole modding/overclocking thing. your parents must be getting tired of buying you computer stuff, oh fallen one.

Whoa, who said anything about his parents buying anything? Why so venomous? If you can't say something nice..

I've never been into OCing laptops because their thermal characteristics suck, and their bios are generally not tweakable.

It's too easy to toast a laptop over a neglible increase in power. IMHO, I wouldn't do anything more interesting than load the occasional game on it. ;)

My parents dont buy me anything lol, and I need a laptop for when I am on the road since I am taking many online courses. The first one that was fried was an acer aspire 5100 but it was my dad that fried it when rebooting with his ipod plugged in (WTF?!). The second one was an hp pavilion dv2000 which I fried from keeping it on too long and doing many cpu intensive things all day. The compaq I got is a replacement for the HP that fried since it was still under warranty. It wasnt really 100% my fault because ALL HP computers heat up like there is no tomorrow. Btw, modding and overclocking is very fun lol, its an addiction now. D:

Whoa, who said anything about his parents buying anything? Why so venomous? If you can't say something nice..
You are right, they didnt buy it for me, it was a replacement for the dv2000 that fried because of the horrible cooling.

I've never been into OCing laptops because their thermal characteristics suck, and their bios are generally not tweakable.
It's too easy to toast a laptop over a neglible increase in power. IMHO, I wouldn't do anything more interesting than load the occasional game on it. ;)

Lol, I really want to try popping it open and putting it on ln2 lmfao...or maybe at least watercool it lolz. I have seen a pic of that somewhere on XS, it was pretty funny.

Edit: Hahahaha, found that pic of the water cooled laptops.

water_cooled_laptop.JPG

311937771_0a6da1dbc1.jpg

"The second one was an hp pavilion dv2000 which I fried from keeping it on too long and doing many cpu intensive things all day"

I keep my D820 on all day, actually for days at a time running SETI @ Home with no problems.

Well, a week ago you didn't have enough money for a fan controller, and you said your dad bought the desktop for you. It just seems like you go through computer parts like candy hah. Sorry for jumping to conclusions. Was having a bad day at work this morning.

I wouldn't mess with overclocking and modding laptops. PCs are easy enough to fix or replace parts or mess with, and you can customise the cooling easily. Laptops are a different ball game. I consider myself an computer expert when it comes to repairs and upgrades and such but I still wouldn't open this laptop unless to upgrade the RAM or the HDD. It's just not worth it (and thats what warranties are for).

(Also my HP DV8000 has been folding SMP 24/7 happily for days. It gets warm but its never had a failure, although it's had a new HDD as the old one failed and a new screen due to an accident)

Heh I just had a serious WTF?? moment seeing those watercooled laptop pics. Giving me ideas for my Palm :p

"The second one was an hp pavilion dv2000 which I fried from keeping it on too long and doing many cpu intensive things all day"

I keep my D820 on all day, actually for days at a time running SETI @ Home with no problems.

I dunno what happened to it, it boots for like 5 minz then shuts off. Tigerdirect said it overheated lol. W/e the compaq is faster than the dv2000 so I am not complaining lol.

Well, a week ago you didn't have enough money for a fan controller, and you said your dad bought the desktop for you. It just seems like you go through computer parts like candy hah. Sorry for jumping to conclusions. Was having a bad day at work this morning.

I didnt have money on my paypal, and I dont have a credit card so I had to ask my dad but he was kinda ****ed off at me lol. The p35 isnt mine btw, its my bros, but I use it, I manage it, and I take care of it.

Heh I just had a serious WTF?? moment seeing those watercooled laptop pics. Giving me ideas for my Palm :p

I have an acer aspire 5100 that I tried to sell in classies, but nobody wanted to buy it. Since it boots and everything I guess I can test the watercooler on it lol. Should be a fun project.

Geez, you break more stuff in a week than most of us do in a life time.

Anyone want to put bets on how long until this laptop is fried?

6 hours, tops.
I say turn the laptop into a music server, but thats just me.

Geez, you break more stuff in a week than most of us do in a life time.

Anyone want to put bets on how long until this laptop is fried?
I'll give it 3 to 6 months lol.

6 hours, tops.
I say turn the laptop into a music server, but thats just me.
Nah man, I still use it. If i want a server, I have my p35 that is on 24/7 and has a few 320 drives in it.

Just leave it alone,Your gonna kill it and HP will get tried of replacing them for you
Lol, I wish it was HP that replaced it...I had to spend 3 months arguing with the people at tigerdirect before someone refunded my money and gave me 850 dollars of store credit.

Lol, trust me, it got very annoying for them when I came 3 times a week to ask them for a refund or a new laptop. I guess they finally gave in lmfao.

Water cooled laptops.... I'm stunned. You start to think you know something about this overclocking stuff, and then you see a watercooled laptop.:drool:

Doesn't a watercooled laptop completely defeat the purpose of having on in the first place?
I can't see tossing that thing into a bag and taking it to the office, or being really mobile at all.

I guess I just don't see the point. I'll keep my desktop.

It has a possibility of being removed. Watercooling at home for benching (low scores lol) and air when on the road. I think I am going to leave this one alone though....

Back