• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got bored... decided to do some ghetto mods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

robollama

Registered
The stock HD 6950 reference fan is loud as hell, and especially so at anything above 40%, so I took my old Intel stock cooler and strapped it ontop of the GPU fan. Had to daisy chain small zipties around the card + fan and then tighten up with pliers to avoid any slip'n'slidin.

r8Ukz.jpg

Results: It actually lowers it a few degrees so I'm able to turn down the stock GPU fan to its minimum (15-20%) and run the quieter Intel fan instead. I actually wanted to try mounting it onto the stock heatsink instead of ontop of the stock fan but I couldn't get the ****ing plastic shroud off. :bang head Any help?

Next I took my unused fan controller that came with my Fractal R3 (it goes in a PCI slot and is a PITA to reach)

fancontroller.png

(not my pic)

Got this idea from browsing around the net. Drilled a hole in the front of the case near the headphone/mic ports and put the knob through after taking it apart, re gluing afterward and unscrewing the board from the metal slot bracket. A small bit of plastic on the inside of the case had to be removed, but it was no trouble.

5442856802_8e5e922dcd_m.jpg
5442856808_84b3ce1b3c_m.jpg
5442856812_855294e2fd_m.jpg
(not my pics)

I put the wiring into the small space above the optical disk. Works perfect and now I can adjust the fans without having to leave my chair :comp: It also cuts down on the amount of cords visible/obstructing fan flow.

The top of my Seasonic x650 gets pretty hot so I googled around and it seems like flipping them over (fan on top) ends up helping out the PSU heat as well as the PSU fan potentially acting a bit like an exhaust. I also took this opportunity to clean up my cable routing.

Last on the list I got jealous of the new R4 removable drive cages and drilled out the rivets holding the R3 cage and removed mine. It was sort of a ***** to get them out without damaging the cage or the case (if I ever want to reinstall the cage). I put the SSD in my empty drive bay under my optical disk, and laid the HDD down on the bottom of the case and ontop of foam I had laying around from some packaging to maybe absorb the vibrations and noise from it. The stuff is pretty stiff and seems sort of plastic-y so it might be amplifying more than its helping :shrug:

Before:
7BYYBl.jpg

After:
Lzhns.jpg
Fan controller knob is barely visible on top

All in all I'd say it was a successful day of cost-free ghetto modding (I'm broke atm if you can't tell! :p)

Thinking about adding some fan ducts on the case fans next? Maybe direct some of that flow better...

Last edited:
Nice work. Kinda chunky, but works.

I think fan ducts would be overboard. The intel fan is only doing so much, because the card fan is still doing the majority of the work. You probably won't see much inprovement, if any, with ducts.

Nice work. Kinda chunky, but works.

I think fan ducts would be overboard. The intel fan is only doing so much, because the card fan is still doing the majority of the work. You probably won't see much inprovement, if any, with ducts.

Heh, should have specified, I meant ducts for the case fans. (basically just the front one...)

Nice work :p

Couple of useful things:

-Remove the rear exhaust fan grill

-Mount that fan in your heatsink, thus it'll serve as both exhaust fan and pull fan for the cpu heatsink, improving your temps noticeably.

If you do that...I would recommend ducting the pull fan out of the case. Ive found that even with a high airflow fan very close to the grill...not much of the air actually makes it through without duct.

This should work with minimal modification: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/th12fandubl.html

On the other hand, 5" dryer duct works too: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Deflecto-Dryer-Duct-4-x-5/17165195

Very good idea!
I normally avoid ducts and just trust a forward to back air flow with a mid case fan and no pci slot covers, but it'll work for his case and setup just fine.

Looks interesting, one thing i have noticed, both the front and rear 120mm (white) fans air blowing air out of the case, while the CPU cooler is pushing air towards the rear, is would flip the fron fan to make a flow.

In any case, there is airflow to be changed in that case for improved cooling, im sure of that.

Looks interesting, one thing i have noticed, both the front and rear 120mm (white) fans air blowing air out of the case, while the CPU cooler is pushing air towards the rear, is would flip the fron fan to make a flow.

In any case, there is airflow to be changed in that case for improved cooling, im sure of that.

Holy hell, good catch I'm not sure when the front fan got turned around like that :shock: Can't believe I missed that! I just switched it around. :facepalm:

That HD will get warm. If you kept the packing it came in, the ends might have stuck in plastic shoes. You can put the HD in place by putting one end in one of the plastic shoes. Gives you a cooler HD.

That HD will get warm. If you kept the packing it came in, the ends might have stuck in plastic shoes. You can put the HD in place by putting one end in one of the plastic shoes. Gives you a cooler HD.

It was 34C with the foam around it. Still very cool temp-wise. I'll look into something to prop it up a bit though.

I just got finished applying new thermal paste to my GPU (Arctic Ceramique) and the temps are the exact same. :rain: The factory paste looked awful and it flaked off but I guess it was working fine.. Going to double check again tomorrow to possibly account for any curing or ambient temp changes, but overall pretty ****ty. :cry:

Figured modding my pc case was a good excuse to finally get a dremel. Been wanting one for a few years now... Lowes had the Dremel 4000 3/34 on sale for $75. Normally $90-$100. Was only $5 more than the Dremel 3000 2/28 so if you've been holding off now's the time! :p

Taking some more inspiration from the Fractal R4, I combined my bottom two cable routing holes into one long hole, and just applied electrical tape over the edges until I can get some u-channel. The two small holes were really, really annoying and when I saw they fixed the issue with the R4 I just had to update mine as well!
RZbCwl.jpg

I also cut out the bottom + back honeycomb fan grills (even though I don't have a bottom fan yet). I applied weather stripping around the inside edge of the back grill in order to decouple the fan from the case and cut down on any vibration noise. I also applied some around where the PSU meets the case for the same reason.

Results of cutting out fan grills = No difference in temps :S

Figured modding my pc case was a good excuse to finally get a dremel. Been wanting one for a few years now... Lowes had the Dremel 4000 3/34 on sale for $75. Normally $90-$100. Was only $5 more than the Dremel 3000 2/28 so if you've been holding off now's the time! :p

Taking some more inspiration from the Fractal R4, I combined my bottom two cable routing holes into one long hole, and just applied electrical tape over the edges until I can get some u-channel. The two small holes were really, really annoying and when I saw they fixed the issue with the R4 I just had to update mine as well!
RZbCwl.jpg

I also cut out the bottom + back honeycomb fan grills (even though I don't have a bottom fan yet). I applied weather stripping around the inside edge of the back grill in order to decouple the fan from the case and cut down on any vibration noise. I also applied some around where the PSU meets the case for the same reason.

Results of cutting out fan grills = No difference in temps :S

You normally do it for less noise, temps might get better. You should try the duct idea Knufire provided. Cardboard might work for a quick test :p

Remove intake fans grills if you got any (normally front intakes come with those), they restrict airflow and make more noise)

His case is fairly air restrictive from the front. Between the door, the door cage behind the door, and the dust filter behind that...

I suppose your method is cheaper.. But you could always install an aftermarket cooler on that 6950 :p. Arctic cooling something something. Lol. Though modding and coming up with creative ideas is definitely more fun =D

lol I love it.
If you use masking tape to duct the Intel fan into the stock cooler I bet it works even better.

Back