• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got/Getting a new heatsink? -- Read this!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SolidxSnake

So, you just got a new heatsink, huh? Don't know what to do next? Here's a quick how-to:

First, get the required materials:

-New heatsink (duh)
-ArctiClean, Isopropanyol Alcohol, Mineral Spirits or another xylene/acetone based cleaner
-TIM; Thermal Interface Material. I reccommend Arctic Silver 5, or Arctic Silver Ceramique.
-Lint-Free cloth (I've heard Coffee Filters work well ;) )

Now, first, shut down your computer, unplug your tower from everything, and move it to a comfortable spot (with my heatsink, I feel more comfortable leaving the tower on its side, I reccommend doing this as well).

Open the case (skip this if you're wierd and run caseless :D), and remove your old heatsink. It should have its own retention or securing mechanism. I know for Intel processors, its a clip-on mechanism, requiring you to unclip the heatsink and then lift the heatsink off of the processor. Sometimes on different platforms it's easier to remove the motherboard before removing the heatsink (like certain Socket A systems, props to The Wicker Man for this).

Either way, remove the heatsink, and clean off the CPU and old heatsink with your cleaning materials. For instance, take your lint-free cloth, wet it with your alcohol, and then wipe away the TIM, using a clean spot every now and again. ArctiClean has its own instructions, listed here. Make SURE not to touch the contact area of the CPU after you clean it (the slug/die of an open-die processor or the IHS of a IHS'ed processor).

Now that the CPU is nice and clean, apply your TIM of choice according to the correct directions (for directions, click the corresponding: AS5; Ceramique). Now, get your new heatsink, and wipe it down with a little of your cleaning material. Like before, make SURE not to touch the portion of the heatsink that touches your CPU (the bottom of the heatsink) after cleaning it. Apply it according to directions, and bam, done. Flip your tower back to a vertical position, plug everything in, and you're ready to do what you do :)

Last edited:
Short and to the point, nice post. The key is for people to follow directions given to them precisely, either for TIM or heatsinks.

Perhaps should also mention, if the retention clips (like Socket A) are hard to get at, they should remove the motherboard from the case to keep from damaging anything.....

The Wicker Man said:
Perhaps should also mention, if the retention clips (like Socket A) are hard to get at, they should remove the motherboard from the case to keep from damaging anything.....

Will add. BTW, you an iron maiden fan? or you just get 'the wicker man' from somewhere else?

iron maiden = great

*ahem* flip, its 13 :D

SolidxSnake said:
Will add. BTW, you an iron maiden fan? or you just get 'the wicker man' from somewhere else?

iron maiden = great

*ahem* flip, its 13 :D

Thats what you get when you have an AMD....Can't do the math right....

Flip-Mode said:
Thats what you get when you have an AMD....Can't do the math right....

And all this time I always thought AMDs had better FP Ops than intel :shrug:

possibly detail the cleaning? what if its a really caked on wad of bubblegum from a pad? scrape it with something? just keep rubbing with the lint free and alcahol? power for the new HS? should we use just a mobo header as opposed to a 4pin adapter with RPM wire?

some things that a beginner might run into when swapping out the HS on their dell or HP.

Before it gets stickied, use complete sentences & paragraphs. :D

Some things to mention:
-TIM sometimes takes time to settle and get the best temperatures.
-Lapping
-Possible uses for the old heatsink :)

IWasHungry said:
Before it gets stickied, use complete sentences & paragraphs. :D

Some things to mention:
-TIM sometimes takes time to settle and get the best temperatures.
-Lapping
-Possible uses for the old heatsink :)

Hey, I wrote a quick how-to on replacing the heatsink, not after :cool:

There are plenty of other threads on things you have mentioned ;)

hey thanks man, a nice summeray of what (hopefully) i shall be doing tommorw, just waiting for my alcohol to come that i got of ebay ;)

alcohol? off ebay? lol
Anyway, nice small guide on heatsinks. I myself would not need it, but i think alot of people may need it. Something i can point my n00b friends to, instead of me doing it for them. :D

Tyreal said:
alcohol? off ebay? lol
Anyway, nice small guide on heatsinks. I myself would not need it, but i think alot of people may need it. Something i can point my n00b friends to, instead of me doing it for them. :D

yeah

I see this question asked a while, and I was wonderin why there wasn't any sort of general post on what to do to replace a heatsink. Sometimes we all just miss the easiest things, huh?

Nice Solid, Sticky material but organize the instructions into paragraphs or steps. It would be easier to read.

-1cem4n

ooh ooh. might wanna make mention about what happens when you get oils from the skin on the core and HS. could be a tiny lil benefit to the people if they keep from touchin them.

Short, Simple, Right to the point! I vote sticky...you should do a short and simple lapping guide too, id be more than glad to follow it with my XP - 120

Back