• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got/Getting a new heatsink? -- Read this!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think you should mention "check for compatibility". Your thread title shows "getting a new heatsink". Research should be #1 on the list.

Of course, hitting the forums is probably one of the best ways to get answers. Reviews as well.

Know Nuttin said:
I think you should mention "check for compatibility". Your thread title shows "getting a new heatsink". Research should be #1 on the list.

Of course, hitting the forums is probably one of the best ways to get answers. Reviews as well.

I assume that the reader has ordered a new heatsink, therefore already researching. Not too clear on that, was I =(

Mods: Please Change title of thread to remove the 'getting' aspect. There are PLENTY of threads on researching on what heatsink is best for you.

Good stuff...one add on:

- after you have cleaned the surfaces with alchohol (or other cleaning stuff), take a CLEAN (prefferably new!) plastic foil/bag (small transparent ones will work great), put it over your finger and apply some paste on the surface of your heatsink
- rub and smudge your finger over the whole surface - make sure you press hard enough
- wipe the heatsink surface with lint free clothing and use alchohol to clean the area you messed up ARUOND the surface
- do the same with the CPU, only carefully this time - dont break it!
- on with the procedure...apply the grease...

I found that on the AS5 site. With smudgeing you make sure the grease fills all the micro cracks and thus make the surface virtually flat. Anyway, just something to think about ;)

Cheers!

gofra said:
Good stuff...one add on:

- after you have cleaned the surfaces with alchohol (or other cleaning stuff), take a CLEAN (prefferably new!) plastic foil/bag (small transparent ones will work great), put it over your finger and apply some paste on the surface of your heatsink
- rub and smudge your finger over the whole surface - make sure you press hard enough
- wipe the heatsink surface with lint free clothing and use alchohol to clean the area you messed up ARUOND the surface
- do the same with the CPU, only carefully this time - dont break it!
- on with the procedure...apply the grease...

I found that on the AS5 site. With smudgeing you make sure the grease fills all the micro cracks and thus make the surface virtually flat. Anyway, just something to think about ;)

Cheers!

Actually, with AS5 that isn't required. And they never said to do that with the CPU. I find it better to be left to the directions I linked to for those two thermal pastes. Not all thermal pastes have the same application methods as AS5/Ceramique, so I've left it in a general state.

Back