• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got new hardware and I broke it already

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knoober

So I got a new board a while back and was swapping over my gear today and ran into a problem. When I try to run the ram in the channels stated in the manual I cant boot. As long as I keep it over in dimms 1/3 I can boot just fine and all the ram is available. Each and every part is known working and confirmed working (during the trouble shooting of this problem I switched everthing back over to the other rig to make sure it was all still in order), I can live with single channel if I must, I just dont want to have to.

The board is a gigabyte 990fxa-ud5 and the rest of the stuff is in my sig.

I have....

1) checked all parts to ensure viability.

2) reflashed the BIOS

3) reflashed a lower BIOS

4) tried different ram (even though my modules are confirmed working)

5) maybe a few other things that I forgot as well (clear CMOS for sure)

Any hope you can offer is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Ninja Edit: I also booted into bios -with the sticks in the spots where they work at- and manually raised the voltage from 1.5 up to 1.6 and 1.65, then added my other stick in . No boot with anything in the second channel.

No RMA possible. Used equipment. I tested it the day it came in the mail and confirmed all slots to be working though. Am I going to hell?!?!? :chair:

Knoober, it might be bad news for you, there is no everclear where you're going............... and only Yo Yo Ma will play on your radio.

- - - Updated - - -

there's earthdog, I better get out of here before he closes your thread.

Save me save me! :)

No seriously where is E_D ? He can usually point out a step in the trouble shooting that I think i already did but had forgotten. Besides this thread is a solid problem. I even tried to fix it before I posted !

It's AMD, pins are still on the CPU.

Can you get a single stick to work in either slot 2 or 4?

Cannot get a single stick to work in slot 2/4. I can get either stick to work in 1/3 (or both together as well) .

Also I did drop the cpu and bend the pins today. I spent a bunch of time straightening them with a card and a toothpick. I will double check them to make sure none are bent, but I am fairly confident that they are ok. CPU wouldnt fit in the socket otherwise I think.

Cannot get a single stick to work in slot 2/4. I can get either stick to work in 1/3 (or both together as well) .

Also I did drop the cpu and bend the pins today. I spent a bunch of time straightening them with a card and a toothpick. I will double check them to make sure none are bent, but I am fairly confident that they are ok. CPU wouldnt fit in the socket otherwise I think.

I'd still try to RMA with Gigabyte, even though you bought it used.
Definitely a dead channel.

I'd still try to RMA with Gigabyte, even though you bought it used.
Definitely a dead channel.

I guess it couldnt hurt. I rarely have luck with RMA. Thanks though, I was prepared to be stuck in the one channel.

Back