• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

got stable 2.8 overclock from quad 2.4 cant get to 3.0 ghz - help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you change 'Adjust DRAM Frequency' to Manual what are your choices under 'Adjusted DRAM Frequency'?

hi jason

eric here

the speeds are

none of which lead me to 400/800 mhz in cpu-z

eric

latest update from eric.

hi all update

set 333 fsb x 9
core voltage + .0250
memory set to 333 - 1:1 ratio in cpu-z (2.0 volts) timing changed to 5,4,4,12 by itself used to be 5.5.5.18)

cpu-z reports cpu v to be 1.288

ran prime95 small fft's
on second test icons on screen dissapeared for a split second and then returned

(done this twice)

on test 4 blue screened and reset itself.

nb voltage was set to 1.59

so set reset the voltage of the memory back to 1.9 (default)

ran prime 95 noticed that small fft's does not test ram much (just wondering is it the ram)

didn't get past test 1 before blue screen

so set ram voltage to 2.25

blue screen at test 3

set core voltage voltage to + 0.375 set the ram at 2.20 and set north bridge to 1.67

cpu-z reports cpu v to be 1.296v

blue screen at start of test 3

set ram back to auto in bios at 2.2 left cpu v + 0.375 ram 2.2 nb 1.67
memory is now at 499.6 at a timing of 5.5.5.18
cpu-z reports cpu v to be 1.296v

blue screened at test 4 and reset itself.

so set it back to the stable settings of 2880 ghz

320 x 9 = 2880mhz
cpu-v = 0.0125v
memory = auto @ 2.00 volts = cpu-z states 480.1 mhz - 2:3 5.5.5.18
Nb = 1.26 = default values
cpu-z reports cpu-v to be 1.280 (stressed)

runs prime95 small ffts torture test for hours

so i can get 2.880 from only increasing the cpu-v +0.0125 and putting 2.0v on the ram and leaving the north bridge alone and yet even doing all the above i seem to get the extra 120mhz to get it to 3ghz

any ideas

Eric.

Here is the exact settings for my Q6600 on my ASUS Commando for 3ghz.

FSB-333
Ratio-9
PCI-E-100mhz
PCI Clock-33.33
Spread Spec-Enabled
Memory Auto or 800(Since you have PC6400, 800mhz should be perfect)
Memory Voltage- Auto for me, you probably need to set your voltage according to your manufacture's specs.
NB Voltage-Mine was set to Auto, but always picked 1.58-1.59 according to Hwmonitor.
C1E Support-disabled
MaxCPUid Value Limit-disabled
vanderpool-disabled
CPU TM Function-enabled
Execute disable bit-enabled

Pretty much anything other than those settings was left on auto setting, of course this board and ram are both highend....it can differ from clock to clock. The other possibility is your chip could just be not as good for OCing.

The more I see guys struggling just to achieve a modest overclock with this Q6600 the more I feel real fortunate that I got lucky enough to pick components that are willing to play well together in the same sandbox. I feel for ya man.

The more I see guys struggling just to achieve a modest overclock with this Q6600 the more I feel real fortunate that I got lucky enough to pick components that are willing to play well together in the same sandbox. I feel for ya man.

i know the gas thing is that i have seen reviews of the board where they have achieved a stable fsb of 346 x 9

gurr.....

eric

Last edited:
These guys didn't have to touch the NB voltage until they hit around 360FSB - you're only trying to get it to 333-334MHz. I hate to say this dude but in looking at your posts you're all over the board with this overclock. You should set everything back to defaults and start over.

Before you do that try changing your timings to 6-5-5-18 and run memtest first before you prime

These guys didn't have to touch the NB voltage until they hit around 360FSB - you're only trying to get it to 333-334MHz. I hate to say this dude but in looking at your posts you're all over the board with this overclock. You should set everything back to defaults and start over.

Before you do that try changing your timings to 6-5-5-18 and run memtest first before you prime

hi Ceegar

yes seen that they didn't have to go near the nb till around 360 i have a stable 2.88 at +0.0125 cpu-v and 2.0 volts and 480mhz on the memory i didn't have to change the nb at all i will give the memory timings a go and test with mem test.

thanks

Hi Ceegar

Eric here

I left the settings as was including the default memory timings and i ran memtest overnight and it passed with no errors (ran 16 times)

Eric

Last edited:
here is a review of the board where they got a 360 fsb with a e6600
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2049&page=4

and here they got a 366 fsb
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/msi_p965_platinum/11.html

eric

hi Ceegar

yes seen that they didn't have to go near the nb till around 360 i have a stable 2.88 at +0.0125 cpu-v and 2.0 volts and 480mhz on the memory i didn't have to change the nb at all i will give the memory timings a go and test with mem test.

thanks

Those FSB numbers are w/ a dual-core, not a quad...big difference.

You can try to tweak some more, but I think you're going to need a better board to go much higher w/ a quad.

Hi Ceegar

Eric here

I left the settings as was including the default ememory timongs and i ran memtest overnight and it passed with no errors (ran 16 times)

Eric

Ok, what about Prime now with those same timings?

Back