• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got the 2 new fans I was talkin about, but how show I place them?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

I have them both blowing towards the back of the case in this picture. So this setup would be push/push right? It runs round 27c idle and over 75c (turned off prime95 at this point) full load with small fft's @4.6.
Would rearranging them make any difference or should I just try and sell this heatsink and get one of the closed loop liquid coolers listed below? I don't feel comfortable at the moment using a hardcore liquid setup, but once I learn more about them and gain some trust I may use em.

The closed loop liquid coolers on my mind are...

1. Swiftech H220

2. Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme

3. NZXT Kraken X60 Ultra Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

4. Corsair Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance

5. Corsair Hydro Series H110 Extreme Performance

Thanks for any ideas and help guys! :thup:

Attachments

• IMG_0867.JPG
    IMG_0867.JPG
    951.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0865.JPG
    IMG_0865.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 107
I would think that you have plenty of cooling power for that OC. by looking at the picture, you have plenty of exhaust fans, but is the cooler getting sufficient cool air coming in? i can't tell where the intakes are by the picture.

I have a i5 3570k at 4.2ghz and it never gets over 75C when i use prime95 and that's on the stock cooler. so i see no reason you shouldn't be able to get 4.6ghz on that cooler with those fans. Which gives me the thought that you don't have good enough intake.

i would try to change some little things to see if that will change your temps. but if you go for the closed loop cooling i would go Swiftech h220. Should give you good cooling and help save some space compared to the huge air cooler.

I have them both blowing towards the back of the case in this picture. So this setup would be push/push right? It runs round 27c idle and over 75c (turned off prime95 at this point) full load with small fft's @4.6.
Would rearranging them make any difference or should I just try and sell this heatsink and get one of the closed loop liquid coolers listed below? I don't feel comfortable at the moment using a hardcore liquid setup, but once I learn more about them and gain some trust I may use em.

The closed loop liquid coolers on my mind are...

1. Swiftech H220

2. Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme

3. NZXT Kraken X60 Ultra Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

4. Corsair Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance

5. Corsair Hydro Series H110 Extreme Performance

Thanks for any ideas and help guys! :thup:

What are you planning on doing with the Cpu? That Air cooler is one of the best ones on the market. How much higher are you planning on running it 24/7 and/or do you really need to run it higher? If you are planning on benching the cpu then get the Swiftech H220 otherwise just stay with the Thermalright Silver Arrow. As far as the setup for the fans they should be in push/pull, both pushing air towards the back of the case.

@ Computergreek... I have the Antec 1200 case. It has 3 120mm fans in front on full blast at all times.

@ Mandrake... I have it at 4.6Ghz now. Idle it is around 26/26c. During games and whatnot it gets to around 65c, and when running prime95 small fft's for only 3 minutes its into the upper 70c's. I usually stop the prime95 before getting to 80c due to my fears.
Maybe it's not seated well or maybe the thermal paste needs to be reapplied? I have heard about delidding cpu's. Is that a good idea in this case? I wan't to push it to 5.0Ghz if possible. So the setup I am currently now using is push/pull, not push/push?

80C is fine for Sandy Bridge...low 80s under small FFT is where I would stop OCing.

Deliddnig is for Ivy Bridge CPUs, no way you're gonna get the IHS off that 2600K.

Remember with Sandy Bridge, anything above 4.5GHz is luck. It's very well possible that your chip simply won't make it to 5GHz, no matter what you throw at it.

80C is fine for Sandy Bridge...low 80s under small FFT is where I would stop OCing.

Deliddnig is for Ivy Bridge CPUs, no way you're gonna get the IHS off that 2600K.

Remember with Sandy Bridge, anything above 4.5GHz is luck. It's very well possible that your chip simply won't make it to 5GHz, no matter what you throw at it.
+1

Another similar question.. My Asus AI Suite II Sensor is showing only 1 cpu sensor and it is 10c below the reading realtemp gives me. Which should I trust more?

One thing that strikes me as I look at your rig: the heatsink fans pump more air than your case exhaust fan could ever remove. You would be better off to simply remove the grill so you wouldn't need an exhaust fan. That's what I do. Works great.

I took another look at your case. You indeed have two exhaust fans. It might be trickier, but maybe not. Grills are so very restrictive. Various aluminum cases come without them -- covered with fingerguards only -- not restrictive at all.

With a grill in place your heatsink is blowing air all over the inside of your case. With the grill gone . . . well, check this out. By simply removing the rear grill, I nw have a case where two Yate Loons on a Megahalems can suck all the air through a case and blow it out the back. I was amazed at how, even with gaping holes, those fans could really move air!

All it took was removing the rear grill.

I found that removing the rear slot covers helps cooling (here). But I went whole hog and removed the sheet metal between the slots (here).

Back