• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering a Water Cooling build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You've come a long, long way. I'm impressed and I really hope you stick around and help people if you have the time :)

I appreciate the kind words m0r. I do plan to stick around. Just as you and a few others helped me along, I'd like to return the favor.

I'm a PhD student at this point in my life, so my free time fluctuates a lot. For example, right now it's only the second week into the semester so I haven't been bombarded yet and have some free time to post around on here. That's why I've been posting a lot lately. As the semester gets further along I won't have that luxury as much. Plus, school seems to be either everything at once or nothing at all, so it fluctuates a lot throughout the semester even.

Long story short, there will be times where you're like man I wish this guy would shut up, and there will be times where I disappear for a while. Just the nature of my current profession, but I'll be around :D

I appreciate the kind words m0r. I do plan to stick around. Just as you and a few others helped me along, I'd like to return the favor.

I'm a PhD student at this point in my life, so my free time fluctuates a lot. For example, right now it's only the second week into the semester so I haven't been bombarded yet and have some free time to post around on here. That's why I've been posting a lot lately. As the semester gets further along I won't have that luxury as much. Plus, school seems to be either everything at once or nothing at all, so it fluctuates a lot throughout the semester even.

Long story short, there will be times where you're like man I wish this guy would shut up, and there will be times where I disappear for a while. Just the nature of my current profession, but I'll be around :D

Ah man, you don't gotta tell me what it's like to be a student...I'm just an undergrad right now, but between 18 hrs/semester, working (for myself no less), and all my other responsibilities and daily chores...I know how the time crunch can be. If you don't mind my asking, what's your PhD in?

My PhD is technically in Agricultural Economics. I really don't like telling people the agricultural part because it's very misleading. My emphasis is econometrics and quantitative (or qualitative sometimes) modelling that many times has nothing to do with agriculture, so it's really more along the lines of Applied Economics.

As far as tips goes, my first one would be to get yourself some decent funding. That requires grades to pull off. If you're thinking PhD then chances are you take school pretty seriously, but you've got to remember you're going against some pretty sharp people when you apply for funding. It can be quite an inner battle knowing you're 25 years old, have two degrees, and are only making $18K a year and working your tail off. Luckily, I no longer find myself in that position, and I've found that increased funding has made me a much happier student. That probably has a lot to do with the fact it has allowed me to purchase the toys we talk about here on these forums :D.

Another thing I would say is just to never get too up or too down. It's going to be tough, brutally tough at times, but if you just put your head down and get to work you'll find that in the end things usually aren't as bad as they might seem when they're staring you in the face.

Oh and one last thing, don't be intimidated by graduate students who have been there for a while or professors. When I first started working with my major prof I would come out of meetings feeling like I was just speaking to someone who talked a different language because it was all so over my head. Hang in there. You'll get there. No one comes in knowing the stuff. Everyone started as clueless as you did :D.

Hey OP,

We haven't totally hijacked this thread and I haven't forgotten about the fitting video. The video is shot and uploading right now. I will post back when it is done. As far as size, I would recommend deciding on the type of fitting you want and the size of tubing you want to use. From there we can help you identify the exact fitting you should purchase based on your preference for tubing size and fitting type.

Here is a very quick run down of the main types of fittings available.

The main reason I wanted to shoot a video was to show you how compression fittings actually work and also show you the rotary action of them. Plus I wanted you to see how you can use quick disconnects to your advantage for system maintenance. I didn't mention it in the video because I forgot to, but the actual main reason I used QDC's on my CPU block was so I could remove the motherboard or CPU/block at any time without any trouble. It just so happened that it worked out pretty good for loop removal and draining.

Like I said, decide what tubing size you want and what type of fittings you want to use and we can help you identify the exact fitting model that goes with the tubing size you want.

If you aren't sure about the impacts of tubing size, this thread from the sticky on the front page should help. To sum it up though, some people think 1/2" looks big and gaudy and prefer smaller 3/8", and others want the biggest of everything (that would be me :D). I don't know that there is really a performance advantage one way or the other. The one thing you should be aware of is that thin walled tubing (i.e. 1/2" ID 5/8" OD = 1/8" difference/2 walls = 1/16" wall) will kink easier than thick walled tubing (i.e. 1/2" ID 3/4" OD = 1/4" difference/2 walls = 1/8" wall). Thick walled tubing may not bend as easily if you have tight bends, but it also won't kink. The tubing in my machine that you see in the video is all 1/2" ID 3/4" OD.

The main reason I wanted to shoot a video was to show you how compression fittings actually work and also show you the rotary action of them. Plus I wanted you to see how you can use quick disconnects to your advantage for system maintenance.

Nah, you just want to show off with your nice case and you bloody perfect cable management!;)

Alright, alright, you guys caught me ;). I'm not finished with the wires yet. I am working on sleeving the GPU and 24 Pin power supply cables, and once that's finished I'll do my final tidying up of cable management.

I updated my signature from my old rig so the specs are shown there. I also linked the build log although I need to update that and I may try to do that sometime today.

The reason I didn't do the GPU's yet is because I just built it a couple weeks ago and I don't plan on owning those 570's for that much longer. I didn't think it was worth buying two water blocks for 3-6 months worth of use and then when I try to sell them I've greatly restricted the market I can sell to. Obviously I'd have to sell to somebody who has a water cooled system, but who's going to shell out the dough for a custom water loop big enough for 2 GPU's and then buy used GPU's? That would be a tough sell.

When Kepler comes out I'm going to put a couple Hydro Coppers from EVGA in there. Then I'll call the build complete.

Thanks OP for this thread, many of my future questions are being answered.

And thebski, thanks for all your videos and input. You have a nice computer thats for sure. I'm gathering up info and all that good stuff for mine. I will start a build thread once I have everything here, until than its researching and more of that! I'm about 1/3 way through the sticky on this forum for water cooling! So I'm slowly getting there.....slowly, plus I'm waiting for one of my RC cars to sell to help fund some of the money to start ordering parts! lol..

Anyways, thanks guys and everyone else who is posting and helping in here.

Thanks OP for this thread, many of my future questions are being answered.

And thebski, thanks for all your videos and input. You have a nice computer thats for sure. I'm gathering up info and all that good stuff for mine. I will start a build thread once I have everything here, until than its researching and more of that! I'm about 1/3 way through the sticky on this forum for water cooling! So I'm slowly getting there.....slowly, plus I'm waiting for one of my RC cars to sell to help fund some of the money to start ordering parts! lol..

Anyways, thanks guys and everyone else who is posting and helping in here.

More fun stuff, some is duplicates, some will help. Thanks for taking it smart and slow....

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

Back