• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gotta convince someone that SETI is good.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Demont

What are some good points to bring up when you are trying to convince someone to let you use thier computers for SETI. My situation is that I wan't to get the network admin at my school to let me run SETI on all the tbird 850's. He's been a teacher of mine so I can talk to him fine, I just wan't to know how to make him understand that SETI is cool and so forth. How have you guys done it?

hey, just noticed my 6th star, cool. i just got my 5th a cpl weeks ago... been forums whoring quite a bit :D

Maybe you should pitch the idea of just using a few machines, or just one that you regularly use, first. Then, after a while, when he (hopefully) sees that it hasn't done any harm to your ability to use that specific machine, he might let you expand to use all of them. Or you could try to get him to use SETI on his primary work machine (wether at home or school) and when he fails to notice any appreciable loss of computing power personally that might convince him to give you the green light for a whole group of systems.

If the computers are on all the time you could explain how seti uses wasted cpu cycles..This is how i got the 2 550's in my sig :D
Also show your teacher our site and the S@H site. Let him see that there is a whole community with seti. And what were working for.

ok i will try all that, i have a chance to talk to him this week so hopefully i can make this work. we are talking about approximatly 15 or more tbird 800-900 mhz machines. they would do about 2- 2.5 WU's a day with the clc version right? so figuring that... im looking at over 40 WU's a day if you account for my current stuff. god that would be nice!!! :p

oh yeah and can someone send me a link to a website or a post about hiding SETI and also making setispy unable to be closed... i cant seem to find either of these things...

Other Aspects

Don't forget to pointout that SETI is not strictly an attempt to get a phonecall from ET. The SETI Project has been a founder and major force in the advancement of Distributed Computing, which has now spawned itself in many other areas. There is a lot of Computer Science going on behind the FrontPage stuff cocerning ET. It is also my understanding that SETI data is now also finding uses in other areas of Radio Astronomy & Universe Mapping.

One thing that I have not heard presented in respect to these school situations is the possibility of starting a school club centered around using computer labs in schools. Having a few dedicated students meeting regularly to discuss and maintain a school based SETI Farm. The club could be organized like "The Two Norsemen, or Three Blind Mice", where the members are not represented individually but as a group. Something like "The Anytown High Crunchers", of course being part of our team! You might want to make sure that our website is brought into the discussion as well, since I personally think it is one of the best Teamsites I've seen.

Just some ideas, hope they spark something, and GOOD LUCK!

SkyHook

I think it would be better to add uh... 40 WU's a day to the uh... Demont team :D :D

Back