• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Block help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Venandi22

I'm creating my first custom water cooling loop and after combing through articles and sites, I cant seem to find a block that fits my GPU. I have a 2070 Super Twin Frozr, does anyone know a block that will fit that GPU, I cant seem to find one designed for it specifically and I'm very apprehensive to order one that is "close enough"

You are correct that "close enough" is not adequate. Most companies make blocks for the reference PCB, and select a few of the higher end custom PCBs to make blocks for them. Your card is a mid range custom PCB, so I'm not hopeful. I spent a few minutes looking around and didn't find much, but you can still keep searching, maybe someone makes one.

Yeah, Zerileous is correct. It would be too expensive with too little return for a company to make blocks for all the different non-reference boards out there.

I believe his specific model is the msi rtx 2070 super gaming x with the TF7 cooler (dual fan).

I checked almost every company and they dont have full cover WB for that specific model, most of them have for the ventus cooler design or for the gaming x trio which as a different pcb.

I think the best option would be a universal block, something like the EK-Thermosphere + check for additional mounting plate if necessary.

Close is not gonna get you there, for example the gaming x TF7 pcb is very different from the gaming x trio.

On the 2070 not super its actually the aero that as a reference pcb.
The ventus 2080 not super, that also as a reference pcb.

Nvidia complicated things on 2000 series introducing the super line, and then msi also complicated things having different pcb layouts for different cooler models, this makes WC companies job difficult and they only make parts for the cards that they think will sell the most.

You have the same problem as I do with my older Strix card. No one makes them any more. Ek usually has the widest selection so you might try emailing them to see if they can recommend one though. Of course you would unfortunately be stuck with an ek block so plan on the nickel coming off at some point and a worthless warranty.

If everything is in order in the loop, the nickel is going to outlast the hardware. Or at least the hardware will become obsolete before you run into this problem.

I still don't believe in the nickel. I get it, though, with the corrosion and patina that develops over time on copper. I understand they electroplate it with a very thin layer, but it is still going to definitely affect thermal transfer. Copper, free machining in this industry so a little bit less than pure, has a thermal conductivity of around 350 W/m K whereas Nickel is around 90 W/m K (at 0C, so a little bit less at RT). That's giving up a lot to avoid having to clean things. I'd rather just take the block apart and clean it with a toothbrush and vinegar+salt or whatever you want to use every so often. Things need cleaned anyway, so it's just good practice to do this every so often.

I've only ever had one EK Nickel plated block before now, and it didn't seem to deteriorate. Only worked with it for a year or so... Maybe not the best measure of longevity of the coating.

If everything is in order in the loop, the nickel is going to outlast the hardware. Or at least the hardware will become obsolete before you run into this problem.
While I would normally agree with you, ek is a different story. Ek has had nickel plating problems for years along with a number of excuses why. All except for their nickel is crap, which it is.

I remember :( gtx 400 series blocks and supreme hf cpu blocks, and i was unlucky enough to have that problem on my supreme hf...

You can kind of see it on the left port, but inside there were some chunks of nickel missing especially on corners...
bToLLt1.jpg

Yea I feel your pain. Mine was my last block for my gtx 970 that went bad. Also the last ek product I have or ever will buy.

Yeah, after that i switched my cpu block to koolance and its still running today without any problems of that or any other sort.

I had the impression that at least on the gpu blocks they corrected the problem, i remember getting my gtx 580 blocks and they had a sticker EN electroless nickel plating
dsc_0622_600_1_1.jpg

and they explained (in the website) that they had a new improved method that prevented those problems from occurring again.

I had 2x 580, 2x 780 ti and a 1070 all with ek blocks. All of these ran for about 3+ years and no problems found. But i did got other problems with ek stuff, a reservoir that leaked due to having some of the ports poorly machined... Had to fix that myself... But there are people that never had any problems with their stuff even after using them several times, so overall i think they improved at least in some areas over time and i can still recommend some of their products :) .

Back