• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gpu cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I currently run a arctic cooling accelero TTII on my GTX670, it fit your card too. Its much bigger with 2 92mm fans and the card become 3slot. But its damn silent and keep the card very cool.

You could get a smaller version like the S1 or similar for a 660 since its heat output is lesser.

cant be that much difference in heat surely?? what did your cooler get in reviews and how much does it cost in gbp

cant be that much difference in heat surely?? what did your cooler get in reviews and how much does it cost in gbp
Every card you attach it to will be different as far as how much the temps drop... Different cards have different power consumption and heat, as well as mounting it properly, the TIM used, etc.

Its going to be a lot better and more quiet than any stock cooler though. :thup:

As far as pricing, it should be on Amazon.uk... look it up! :)

Keep in mind your present cooling is rear exhaust so heat is pushed out of case.

Replacement cooler will be dumping hot exhaust in all directions from GPU. ;)

Granted, reference cards are louder but they keep your computer cooler.
I would like to see 3 or even 4 slot reference cards with bigger cooler/fan systems on them so they can run cooler and quieter. ;)

not quite sure what your point is? the stock fans push the hot air in the same place as coolers you buy... which is downwards. Are you saying the stock fans are better for overall temp?

not quite sure what your point is? the stock fans push the hot air in the same place as coolers you buy
Ponty, the stock cards suck the air into the heatsink and exhaust it out of the back of the case through the grills in the back of the card, not the other way around. An aftermarket heatsink will blow the air through the heatsink and just exhaust the hot air into the case. What Doyll is saying is that an aftermarket heatsink will only cool better then the stock one to a point. If you do not have good case ventilation, your temperature drop will not be as significant as it would be if you did.

Ok well i have a coolermaster haf xm case with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
which blows the hot air straight off the heatsink of the cpu directly sideways into the cases exhaust fan, so there is very little hot air inside my case. Anyone that knows the case, the cables are tucked away behind the motherboard tray, minimizing airflow blockage. Its a very nice case and even though it isnt asthetically pleasing, i am very glad i bought it.
I have touched the heatsink after using the pc for 3 hours playing skyrim and its actually cool to the touch.
The gpu is another matter, it can get quite warm.

Mandrake4565 got it right. :thup:

Pontypool2, when you change to aftermarket GPU cooler you GPU will be cooler but your CPU and other components will most likely rise 2-5c because the inside of you case will be hotter as a result of the GPU cooler not have a defined airflow toward a vent or direct exhaust of it's hot cooler air.

Think of it as a stock CpU cooler with a fan blowing down onto motherboard. The hot cooler exhaust spreads in all directions and is deflected back up by GPU, RAM, caps and heatsink on motherboard.. some being sucked back into cooler and all increasing the air temperature inside your case. . Your 212 cooler draws air in the front and out the back toward rear exhaust fan / vent. Heated cooler air got right out the back.. less of it stays inside to heat up air in case

Your present GPU cooler draws air in the fan on front of GPU and exhausts it out the double PCI slot in back.. very little stays in case. The replacement will draw air in the side of GPU and blow it out front, top, bottom and back.. The back will move a little out of case but the top, front and bottom hot exhaust air has no way to leave case so mixes with case air making it hotter.

Hotter air means everything else in your case is trying to cool with hotter air. So just like in the summer when your room is 28c and your CPU is 56c (just guessing for example) when in the winter and room is 22c your CPU is 50c.

Hope that makes sense.

Ok well i have a coolermaster haf xm case with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
I wasn't accusing you of having poor ventilation, I was just making a statement of you should expect under different circumstances. Sorry if it came off as an accusation. Also at this point you should put your system specs in your signature that way we know what we're dealing with, here's how, thanks.

but your CPU and other components will most likely rise 2-5c because the inside of you case will be hotter as a result of the GPU cooler not have a defined airflow toward a vent or direct exhaust of it's hot cooler air.
And to this I say, with respect, 'who cares' with a caveat... that is if your temps are already hitting 90C stress testing, you want to lower that number to 85C to allow for any changes in your CPU cooling due to any heat dump from a GPU.

Also note that its a 1:1 ratio of temperatures like doyll mentioned. Ambient goes down 5C, so should your load temps all other things remaining equal.

Last thing to note.. its a 660, not a 680/7970. That power target is 115W with TDP of 140W...so I doubt it will make much difference if you have decent airflow. I mean hell, my 680 didnt make a difference at all in my HAF XB. ;)

A bit technical really. But if I understand correctly.. While a gpu cooler will cool my graphics card it will raise the overall temperature of the case components by 2 degrees.
I take it the question is whether the cooling of the gpu is worth the increase in ambient temperature?? and also I gather this depends also on case ventillation.
In which case I don't mind admitting I am a bit overwhelmed at this point. I just thought it would be a simple process of buying better equipment that had good reviews, didn't consider pros and cons)
But I have to add that from past experience, the graphics cards seem to blow out on me much more often than anything else. Maybe a slight increase in ambient temperature is worth significantly cooling the gpu??
As for overall case temperature, as I stated.. so far it seems pretty cool even when playing games. I admit I haven't seriously pushed it but im very impressed so far.

What do you think I should do then in terms of cooling the gpu?? maybe water cooling to avoid raising ambient temperature? or is there a specific cooler which efficiently blows out air from the exhaust of the case as appose to blowing it everywhere inside the case? I am a bit confused now.

BTW i edited my signature but dont see it here.

Last edited:
Who knows how much if any... there isnt a formula for exact temperature increase as it depends on so many factors.

As far as if its worth it, I dont think its a question as the difference, in a case with decent airflow, is going to be negligible.

It really is as simple as buying the cooler and putting it on. While system temps may go up a couple C, to me, its not worth the mental tug of war you are putting yourself through. Get the GPU cooler, and dont worry about it. :)

Too much information is sometimes detrimental in making a decision. THis is the case here considering you arent pushing any limits and every degree C doesnt really matter to you.

EDIT: If you just created a signature, you should see it in your next post. It wont magically appear on things in the past. ;)

ponty just get the arctic cooling accelero, you have plenty of ventilation in your case, you aren't going to notice the slight difference in temps and your gpu will be much cooler/quieter.

EarthDog;7400893[B said:
]Who knows how much if any[/B]... there isnt a formula for exact temperature increase as it depends on so many factors.

It really is as simple as buying the cooler and putting it on. While system temps may go up a couple C, to me, its not worth the mental tug of war you are putting yourself through. Get the GPU cooler, and dont worry about it. :)

Too much information is sometimes detrimental in making a decision. THis is the case here considering you arent pushing any limits and every degree C doesnt really matter to you.

EDIT: If you just created a signature, you should see it in your next post. It wont magically appear on things in the past. ;)
It will raise temps by AT LEAST 2c.. dependent on case and cooling could be as much as 10c!
And no, knowledge is not bad. You can bury your head in the sand but don't expect others to do the same. A degree here, a degree there, and pretty soon we got heating issues.

Yes, do get your signature up so we know what you have.

Knowledge isnt bad, but too much is.. and this is too much for this person. Clearly its making this guy's head spin and getting him confused. Just get the GPU cooler and look at your temps.. if they are still at 90C or less (I think you have an ivybridge CPU?) with a stress test load, you are good. As always, take a look and see what it does to your temps. Nobody is burying their head in the sand, its just the level of information made this guy's head pop so we are bringing it back to earth and letting him know what he should be worrying about at a higher level.

Like I said, it will vary on SO many things that one cant say with certainty a specific amount. I thought I just bunked that myself when I had zero increase moving from a 680 Reference cooler (exhausts out the back) to a lightning (exhausts damn near eveywhere). I have good airflow, not great and it didnt do anything to my CPU/system. Perhaps my sensors are not in the right place to catch it (on the exhaust fan though). Im certain others will raise, but just keep an eye on CPU temps... its just that simple.

Get the cooler, check CPU temps after. Done. Dont worry about the details.

Last edited:
A bit technical really. But if I understand correctly.. While a gpu cooler will cool my graphics card it will raise the overall temperature of the case components by 2 degrees.
I take it the question is whether the cooling of the gpu is worth the increase in ambient temperature?? and also I gather this depends also on case ventillation.
In which case I don't mind admitting I am a bit overwhelmed at this point. I just thought it would be a simple process of buying better equipment that had good reviews, didn't consider pros and cons)
But I have to add that from past experience, the graphics cards seem to blow out on me much more often than anything else. Maybe a slight increase in ambient temperature is worth significantly cooling the gpu??
As for overall case temperature, as I stated.. so far it seems pretty cool even when playing games. I admit I haven't seriously pushed it but im very impressed so far.

What do you think I should do then in terms of cooling the gpu?? maybe water cooling to avoid raising ambient temperature? or is there a specific cooler which efficiently blows out air from the exhaust of the case as appose to blowing it everywhere inside the case? I am a bit confused now.

BTW i edited my signature but dont see it here.

Get the information of what you have in your sig and we can give you more definitive answers. I'm not saying it won't work and give a cooler/quieter GPU. Just what you to know your CPU temp will probably go up at least a couple of degrees. It's all swings and round-a-bouts. Every time one you change something it will effect others. That's life. :D

Like Mandrake and EarthDog say, do it. You will probably be fine.

My guess is worst case is you might need move your case fans around, change their speed and/or add another another one.

ok do you all see my signature now? thats my processor... dont know what ivy bridge is? :p im a former amd fan, who's switched over

Back