• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Fan Control

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

telep_man

Registered
Hi,
Sorry if it's a stupid question, I want to replace the cooler on my HD 4670 with an Accelero L2 Pro. Can I set it up in the way that I can control the fan speed with CCC or Rivatuner? Coz my graphics card has a 2-pin connector while this cooler uses 3-pin or 4-pin.

If you can plug it in to the stock port for the fan, yes, if not, it will need to be handled by the mobo (3/4pin), or a fan controller if you use molex.

1 more question, what would happen if i took just the black and the red wire and connected them directly to the graphics card (in the 2-pin connector)? The stock fan has (or uses) 0.25A, while the new on has (uses) less, 0.15 if I remember correctly. Would that be safe?

1 more question, what would happen if i took just the black and the red wire and connected them directly to the graphics card (in the 2-pin connector)? The stock fan has (or uses) 0.25A, while the new on has (uses) less, 0.15 if I remember correctly. Would that be safe?

No I would not recommend it, but then again I have not seen it done. Connecting it to the mobo is the easiest solution.

Went for it anyway and I got it spinning, but I'd say it has constant speed - it always sonds the same. Eh, at least it's quiet.

Went for it anyway and I got it spinning, but I'd say it has constant speed - it always sonds the same. Eh, at least it's quiet.

Here's the more important question...

Were you able to control the speed of the stock fan with CCC or Rivatuner or AfterBurner...

The 4670s that I've seen; all have just the two pin connector to the fan... So any fan speed control will be done via voltage adjustment. And if this is the case; you should be able to adjust the speed on the other fan as well..

Here's the more important question...

Were you able to control the speed of the stock fan with CCC or Rivatuner or AfterBurner...

The 4670s that I've seen; all have just the two pin connector to the fan... So any fan speed control will be done via voltage adjustment. And if this is the case; you should be able to adjust the speed on the other fan as well..

Yes, I was able to control it (at 100% it sounded like a mini vacuum cleaner). But this new fan, although bigger, is/has/uses just 0.1A compared to 0.25A of the stock fan, so I'm guessing it's spinning equally slower. When I put a finger next to the heatsink and then up the speed I think i can feel the difference but it's so small I don't know if I'm just imagining it. And it's definitely not 2000 rpm coz when I plug it to mobo or molex it's a lot louder. But the temps are ok and it's quiet. So there. I call it safe. :D

Back