• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU under $200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jben04

Registered
Ok, so i need a GPU for my sons build,beginning fo the year i asked the same question ,and i got recommended the R9 270x,GTX 660 / 660ti.
Now i know prices for GPU's have been kinda crazy lately,and was just seeking advice on whether there are better options out there now for the $200 mark.
The specs to his build :

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply.

As far as i know he wont be playing in 1080, and his monitor is an Acer P191W 19inch
Also it would be preferable for him to go for a 2GB? or would a 1GB be good enough ?

Last edited:
Thats what i doing,,checking out the GTX 750 Ti's...
Is there any real difference between the different makes ?( Asus, Gigabyte, MSI & EVGA )

Just the aftermarket coolers and clock speeds. Some have marginally better/worse clock speed potential than the other.

so the higher the clock speed the better?..
If so the EVGA GTX 750 ti ,looks mighty tempting ,and only $159

the 750ti is basically a low-power mid-range card.

an R7 260X has more FPS for the same price. The 750 ti uses only 60W and thus is powered entirely by the PCIe x16 slot, while the R7 260X uses a 6-pin power.

if you want to use only 250-300W for your system, go with teh 750 ti.

the 750ti is basically a low-power mid-range card.

an R7 260X has more FPS for the same price. The 750 ti uses only 60W and thus is powered entirely by the PCIe x16 slot, while the R7 260X uses a 6-pin power.

if you want to use only 250-300W for your system, go with teh 750 ti.
I can't imagine the system in the OP's sig with a 750ti would break 150W on load... I would think a 7850 would be around 200-225W since it is only a 130W card. The OP also has a 750W PSU so power really doesn't matter in that respect. :thup:

I can't imagine the system in the OP's sig with a 750ti would break 150W on load... I would think a 7850 would be around 200-225W since it is only a 130W card. The OP also has a 750W PSU so power really doesn't matter in that respect. :thup:

I meant a 250-300W Power Supply:chair:

I missed that this was NOT for the build in the sig... LOL!

Anyway, 500W PSU listed. I wouldn't go lower than that in case they want to use a more powerful card in the future. If they know they wont, they can get a lower wattage PSU.

Another thing I missed... you want 2GB not 1GB even at less than 1080p resolutions.

Some versions of the 750TI also use an additional 6 pin PCIE connector.

yes, supposedly for overclocking the card.

however, its still locked at 60W TDP, so the extra power is USELESS, as per Tom's Hardware's review (and Anandtech). Even with the extra power, it throttles back your overclock to 60W

There is a power limit bar that is adjustable for these modern Nvidia cards... at least there is for non Maxwell cards anyway. I would assume on this one as well (perhaps software has not caught up to it yet?). If it is a typical limit, that is 20% which puts the use up to 72W if my math is right. 75W is the limit from the slot so it takes its power from another location as well to not stress out the board (I would imagine).

The Tom's article says what I am saying:
Unfortunately, this limit is set to 100%. Until Nvidia fixes whatever is preventing higher power targets, it won't be possible to push the board harder (up to the PCI Express slot's 75 W ceiling).

Last edited:
Just a update,, after a long consideration i finally bought the ASUS GTX 750ti OC for my sons build, He's just chuffed to bits now he can play his games,and the dual monitor set up i sorted out for him was the cherry on top.

Now my next task is to get a GPU for my own build, Personally,im pretty impressed with the on board graphics lol.

Back