• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Grand Theft Auto 4 : Your Opinions and reviews

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

X0d1@k

Ive read many reviews of this, and although i love the series, i feel alot of , been there done that.

I like San Andreas, but never finished, like the entire franchise. I specifically liked the
***Spoiler***
Gang Wars part of the game (before you are exiled to hick town)***Spoiler***

but other than that, it was more of the same. Interesting, but working out, running and eating good food was kind of lame in my opinion. I never got far enough to

***Spoiler***
Gamble or what not, besides the horseracing part***Spoiler***

but buying new sneaks and what not was kinda funny.

Anyways, does part 4 bring something to this franchise i am missing, or what?

I played the heck out of GTA 3 and i did love it. I actually liked it the most of the series, with SA and part 1 being in line, never played part 2.

So with that being said, anyone elses take on this game and the franchise?

GTA IV console version = win

GTA IV PC version = fail

rig in my sig can't get a playable framerate even at the lowest possible settings. it's VERY poorly ported to the PC platform. a quick google search will lead you to plenty of people expressing disatisfaction with the PC version.

The game itself however is fracking awesome! pretty much the best sandbox in recent memory.

well...i've played them all...but I'm only about 6 hours into gta4.

Vice city was my favorite and still is so far. San Andreas was probably my least favorite...just was hard to get into.

So far I have really enjoyed GTA4, you are right that it is more of the same, but honstly I'm not real far into it. I enjoy the characters and the story...
The biggest problem is that it was not a great port....just takes a powerhouse to run cranked up...

If you disable Live and Social Club GTA IV on pc runs decent, plays very well on my system.

With rig in sig, I play with everything maxed 19x12 except draw distance. Very fun game! In san andreas, R* wanted to give you more of everything. In 4, they wanted to make a real living breathing city. Make it feel authentic. I've beaten the storyline on console and PC.

GTA4 was a good solid game that I enjoyed playing. Only problem was that it just didnt feel unique or special at all.

My favorite still is Vice City, had the charm, had the style, and a great story too boot. :p

GTA IV console version = win

GTA IV PC version = fail

rig in my sig can't get a playable framerate even at the lowest possible settings. it's VERY poorly ported to the PC platform. a quick google search will lead you to plenty of people expressing disatisfaction with the PC version.

The game itself however is fracking awesome! pretty much the best sandbox in recent memory.

True, its PC version is a hog and a mess. But if you can max it out, the PC version is superior. Had a friend over who recently saw GTAIV on my PC and hes like "wtf now I cant enjoy it on my xbox360!".

Playing GTA4 on my rig with all settings max is an amazing looking game, the story line is also done pretty well with the usual GTA twists. It does take a pretty good rig to enjoy all of the eye candy though. Also I used a Xbox 360 controller hooked up to my PC while playing that was much eaiser then the old keyboard and mouse.

was great on PS3. I did miss a lot of the little things that the previous versions had like the radio controlled games (Vice city) and the huge amount of customization from san andreas.

All in all it did get a little repetative- go here and kill this guy then come back. Then after doing a few missions for me kill me and take my mansion. Honestly I liked the missions in the previous versions better. But if you are a GTA fan you should play it.

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I played GTA4 at 1280x1024 on my AMD 6000X2, 2 gigs of ram, and a single 8800GTX with great framerates.

Even though I've beaten the game, I still play it just to crash into things :D.

I really like this game more than san andreas (uninstalled that game after the first hydrolics car show), maybe it's just because I get to be a russian :D

GTA4 - $40-50
crashing your car and seeing your character fly through the windscreen - priceless :santa:

i woudln't be surprised if i spent all day looking for faster/cooler cars to steal.
it's a great game, one that can keep up entertained for much longer than other games.

I loved it, solid 50fps at 1600x1200, all very high, draw distance etc at 50
Just patch it to 1.0.3, update gpu driver and keep your computer clean and it'll work very well.

It plays amazingly well on a Core i7 setup. Most people moan about shoddy performance and they're right to, it really needs at least a Core 2 Quad to run well in most scenarios.

If you disable Live and Social Club GTA IV on pc runs decent, plays very well on my system.

How do you do that?

I tried the details hack to run higher textures on my 4850 (can only get to medum on crossfired 4850s :( )

I will probably install it again and it is a very repetitive game, I dont know how far I made it in the game, but had done a few missions for the Irish mob.

Might wait to get a 4890 or a 5 series card before trying it out again.

The dressing up the charecter is a little annoying but they integrated it 4 pretty well (helps you lose police interest, dressing for hte part helps smooth things socially i nthe game). San Andreas though, I got a tat a mohawk and never did anything else again. Also "grinding" in the gym was stupid.

And yes quad core CPU is required recommended for the game.

I've just started playing GTA IV today. So far running on 1440x900 it's not too bad to look at, but gameplay, feels like all other GTA games, just more realistic :)

Is there any patches out that improve performance?

I've been playing it for about 3 week now. Runs well at 1600x1050 with all detail setting on MED and draw distance etc half way on the rig in my sig. My CPU does struggle once I start throwing grenades everywhere causing multiple explosions. I can't afford a Quad right now so I've ordered a E5200 and hoping for a 4ghz+ O/C. For some reason I have to turn shadow detail OFF as it really slows the game down. But I can't even see a difference when it's off. Shadows are still there and look the same.

Back