• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

grounding prob, need help fast!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yzzuf

hi guys ive been trying to get this comp going for awile now and have a weird prob. with the mobo out of the case all works fine, with it in i get cpu is unworkable or has beeen changed. and i cant change any settings. ive painted the mobo tray before installing the mobo. ive tried taking it out and in like 5 times now and everytime i take it out it works and in it doesnt. just now i took tape and put it on all the high spots/standoffs to make sure nothing is touching but still get that prob. wtf could be touching i cant see anything! the case is an old server case and doesnt have the normal brass standoffs but these flat ones that are inserted into the mobo tray.

Alright, listen... when you install the mobo, do you have these black little(I dont know the name of the) on the mountining place where you screw in the screws.. Your motherboard will not be grounded without that

yes there is little black things that the mobo screws into. now i have the mobo out and same thing now it wont work right out of the box. i painted the entire case inside also btw. do the power supply screws ground the psu? cause there is paint on the outside where they screw in. this is very frusterating lol.

Are you sure its a grounding problem? My friend had the same problem with his board and chip (I would love to tell you that he fixed it, but we just got him a new board and chip).

I take it you've tried all the simple things like clearing the bios when the board is in and seeing if everything is seated right whent he board is upright ?

ive tried everything. it is an abit nf7-s board. now this morning i went to boot and it wouldnt boot. it would get to the windows laoding screen and then restart and i couldnt get it any farther. this is at default settings. i am just going to rma this thing i think its pooched.

I'm being master of the obvious here but seeing that it no longer works even outside the case.... probably rma time, not worth the hassle otherwise with the mystery problems you'll be facing down the road.

PS, what psu are you using and have you tried a different one yet? Maybe windows/drivers or the bios have been corrupted?

psu is brand new antec 480w. seems to be something with the bios, cause if i restart it will load and let me hit f1 to continue but if i change bios settings it will try to restart then nothing. i then have to pull the power plug for a few secs then it will start up but no saved bios settings. i cant change bios settings an get a save.

Back