• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

group policy and installing software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gangaskan

so i am trying to do some deployment via GPO and i can not for the life of me to get anything to install when i want it too :/

they all work when you go to programs and features and use the "install" button, however, weather i use the client side or computer side of the GPO it seems to not push through.

under gpresult /r i do see that the policy was applied and working, however, software installation will not function.

note: as i'm working on this i see that my app was not "published" so therefore, it did not work the way i wanted it too. i got that working so far.

my other question is i want to turn software into a MSI that is not a MSI, how can i do that? every app i see costs $$$ and i'm not looking for a paid solution.

What software are you trying to install? and how are you trying to install it just with GP or with a script that calls the installer?

have your tried (run as admin for win 7) gpupdate /force than log off and on.

What software are you trying to install? and how are you trying to install it just with GP or with a script that calls the installer?

have your tried (run as admin for win 7) gpupdate /force than log off and on.

i found out my initial problem ( i had it on publish, did not force install at logon)

however, just trying to install some of our custom software that uses MSI's, i'd rather not use scripts that call the installer if i dont have too.

ideally i'd like to login as user X and install all software, updates, etc. for any of the software(s) we have.

eventually i'd like to do adobe reader, flash, and some stuff that people use here and there.

Oh how I'd love a working answer for this too.
I've got all our SOE installs as MSI packages but they don't want to install via the GPO.

Trying to do it from multiple DFS servers probably isn't helping but if I can get it going on any of them I'll be happy!

Back