• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GSkill Ripjaws Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Hey guys, been trying to get the last bit out of my RAM. I've got 4 sticks of this running at the stock speeds, in ganged mode. Every time I try to drop from 9-9-9-24, to 8-9-9-24 I just get BSODs. What should I try next?

Thanks!

The problem is, you have an AMD processor whose memory controller is not that robust. 1600Mhz with all four sticks populated is just about the max you will get out of it. That said, did you try to add more voltage to the sticks? Raise NB voltage?

Hopefully an AMD person will swing by and help out... its not my forte. ;)

The problem is, you have an AMD processor whose memory controller is not that robust. 1600Mhz with all four sticks populated is just about the max you will get out of it. That said, did you try to add more voltage to the sticks? Raise NB voltage?

Hopefully an AMD person will swing by and help out... its not my forte. ;)

I haven't ever had experience overclocking RAM, so I wasn't comfortable raising the voltage there. Same with the NB.

I've got the NB clocked up some though. I think 2.6GHz instead of 2.4, iirc.

Why are you trying to lower the CAS from 9 to 8? Like ED suggested, you'll have to raise the DRAM and / or vNB in order to lower the CAS (Vdimm up to 1.55-1.60V for CL8). My suggestion is to just leave the timings as-is, and instead concentrate on your overclock.

Why are you trying to lower the CAS from 9 to 8? Like ED suggested, you'll have to raise the DRAM and / or vNB in order to lower the CAS (Vdimm up to 1.55-1.60V for CL8). My suggestion is to just leave the timings as-is, and instead concentrate on your overclock.

I've got my OC about where I want it, and want to fine-tune the rest of the system now.

What is the max/recommended "safe" voltage for RAM to be pushed to?

I feel obligated to point out that you'll get more performance out of 50MHz of CPU speed than dropping all the timings by 1 and/or raising the ram's speed.
That doesn't mean you shouldn't play with it by any means, but I would make sure you've squeezed every last bit of performance out of your CPU that you possibly can.

I feel obligated to point out that you'll get more performance out of 50MHz of CPU speed than dropping all the timings by 1 and/or raising the ram's speed.
That doesn't mean you shouldn't play with it by any means, but I would make sure you've squeezed every last bit of performance out of your CPU that you possibly can.

I had it running [email protected] a few weeks ago, but 3.8GHz@stock is plenty for every day. I really just need to bite the bullet and get a new GPU, that's the "weak" point of my system now.

This man speaks the truth. Get all you can out of the CPU & GPU, then tinker with the RAM.

It's also good to point out that the quickest way to kill an OS install is via RAM overclocking. CPU crashes are relatively easy to overcome. RAM crashes screw up getting the necessary data back to the HDD/SSD; if that occurs at the wrong time, buh bye OS. That applies more to seriously pushing the limits, but a healthy respect for RAM clocking is a good thing to have.

I have mange to run them at @ 9-8-7 1.500v. If I try to run them at 8-8-8 or 8-8-7 with the stock voltage, Windows won't even boot, with 1.65v it reached my desktop but then programs crashed. Not worth pumping so much voltage into them, even if they would run at 8-8-8, I reckon.
I'm not sure why it let me know, but I think its because of my CPU-NB overclock.

Running Prime95 Blend test right now to see if it holds up.

Last edited:
From some other testing I did, these sticks will run some pretty high MHz, but they don't like the timing dropped

¿Do you have your CPU-NB overclocked? I'm quite sure that the reason why it let me tighten the timings.
They seem to be perfectly stable at this settings.

I do, it is at 2600MHz if I remember correctly.

I had to set them back @ 9-9-9-24 because, even though it passed of 2 hours of Prime95 blend test and 2 days of normal usage and most of my games, there was one game that constantly crashed at launch with my memory at 9-8-8(7).

Back