• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gskill Sniper 60GB slow read speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

npolite

Hi All,

I've been having this odd issue with this new Gskill Sniper 60GB drive. I've installed it in a AMD X4 630 system with a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM board. Running the CrystalDiskMark, I am getting sequential reads at 150-160MB/sec and writes at close to 100MB/sec. This seems low compared to my older Phoenix Pro 120 which reaches read speeds at around 200MB/sec. The SATA setup is in raid mode because I have two other HDD drives in Raid 1. I tried updating the BIOS, switched SATA cables and nothing seemed to work. I then took our the drive and hooked it up to a Gigabyte MB using the Intel P35chipset and the read speeds were around 200MB/sec which is what I expect.

I then ran HD Tune and while it started at around 150MB/sec it had sustained close to 200 for about 75% of the test with an average of around 188MB/sec. The other strange thing is that the CrystalDiskInfo doesn't even detect the drive. I also updated the FW to the latest 3.2 code and installed the latest chipset drivers from AMD.

Could it be that CrystalDiskMark doesn't work well with AMD chipsets?

I would probably disconnect the 2 x HDDs from the SB710 controller, then either leave the controller mode set to RAID, or change it to AHCI w/ just the SSD installed.

I don't want to pull the raid array as it is going to take a long time to rebuild. Is this an AMD issue? It almost looks like it is only using SATA I from the benchmark yet the HD tune shows otherwise. I have the two HDD drives on slot 0 and 1 on the MB and the SDD drive on slot 2. I have practically the same setup with a Pheonix Pro on my Intel C2D setup and don't have this issue.

Back