• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTA V lag / extremely low GPU usage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Roboto

Hi All,

I just built the PC in my sig... first once I've built in a while with the intention of getting back into PC gaming.

So far, I have I installed GTA V, Battlefield V, and CS:S

When I run GTA V, my GPU usage is only about 5% (and CPU around 45%) according to the performance tab in the task manager. I have it set to 1920 x 1200 with graphics on normal, and all other effects off (no AA, AF etc). Draw distance, density ect are all turned all the way down as well. When I run the in-game benchmark, it reads 160-190 FPS on screen, but the video is skipping/lagging heavily. In game, it shows about 150 FPS, but it hangs stutters quite often during most driving or action. From the googling I've done, the extremely low GPU usage is indicative of the game using the on-board (on-chip?) graphics, but I have them disabled in the BIOS (at least i hope I disabled the right option). I also only see my GTX 2070 listed in the device manager under display adapters.

For what it's worth, CS:S runs at about 300 FPS (not saying much, I know) and BF V with every option set to ultra always runs at exactly 60 (it may be capping itself to 60FPS since the resolution is set to 1920 x 1200 @ 60hs, though the frame rate cap is set to 200FPS)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I thought for sure that this PC would have no problem running GTA V.

1920x1200 laughs at a 2070 at gta v on normal without AA... crank the settings and let the card know it is alive!

That benchmark always hitches in places..

If you're running Windowed (Fullscreen/Borderless) make sure you don't have anything in the background asking for attention, sure way to get FPS loss and stutter.

Well, I’m not quite sure how, but I maxed out all the settings at native resolution and it actually did seem to run smoother somehow. Gpu usage is still only about 10% but I suppose the fact that it increased at all tells me that it is indeed using the gpu. I still get the occasional hiccup/drop in FPS, but it’s much better overall. Not sure how that worked, but thanks!

Where are you seeing GPU use at 10%???? Pics please...as I get a couple/few percent idling/desktop with a browser (no vids).

Last edited:
Here is a screen shot in-game. Stats were being displayed on my second monitor. As you can see, GPU usage was 7% while FPS = 126 at the time.

CPU usage is way up at 60%

ss.jpg

I dont think task manager is giving you good information. X1 says it is using 75%....

What does MSI AB graph say power use is?

75% is power target, not usage (which i find very strange, it should be at 100% or higher) - doesn't this cause FPS throttling ? GTA5 is very CPU dependent but there's no way you would be pulling 150fps+ if the card wasn't working as intended :)

I dont think task manager is giving you good information. X1 says it is using 75%....

What does MSI AB graph say power use is?

75% is power target, not usage (which i find very strange, it should be at 100% or higher) - doesn't this cause FPS throttling ? GTA5 is very CPU dependent but there's no way you would be pulling 150fps+ if the card wasn't working as intended :)

No, ED is right... I didn't even notice at first, but X1 is reporting 75% usage in that screen shot.... a far cry from the 10% windows was reporting. Target is set to 100. Good catch.

I haven't even had a chance to launch the game back up with all of the holiday stuff going on... when I have some more time I will try a few other monitors (like afterburner)

Thanks for the help thus far guys, much appreciated.

Hi All,

I just built the PC in my sig... first once I've built in a while with the intention of getting back into PC gaming.

So far, I have I installed GTA V, Battlefield V, and CS:S

When I run GTA V, my GPU usage is only about 5% (and CPU around 45%) according to the performance tab in the task manager. I have it set to 1920 x 1200 with graphics on normal, and all other effects off (no AA, AF etc). Draw distance, density ect are all turned all the way down as well. When I run the in-game benchmark, it reads 160-190 FPS on screen, but the video is skipping/lagging heavily. In game, it shows about 150 FPS, but it hangs stutters quite often during most driving or action. From the googling I've done, the extremely low GPU usage is indicative of the game using the on-board (on-chip?) graphics, but I have them disabled in the BIOS (at least i hope I disabled the right option). I also only see my GTX 2070 listed in the device manager under display adapters.

For what it's worth, CS:S runs at about 300 FPS (not saying much, I know) and BF V with every option set to ultra always runs at exactly 60 (it may be capping itself to 60FPS since the resolution is set to 1920 x 1200 @ 60hs, though the frame rate cap is set to 200FPS)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I thought for sure that this PC would have no problem running GTA V.

Were you able to fix the low usage problem?

My specs are:

2600k @ 4.6ghz
16gb RAM
1070ti

I used to have a GTX 970 and had absolutely no problem with GTA V on this PC

but 2 months ago I sold my 970 and bought a 1070ti, and now my performance in GTA V is worse than before

All other games use ~99% of my GPU, but GTA V is using 20% of my GPU, I can't even reach 60fps at 1080p with medium/high

Were you able to fix the low usage problem?

My specs are:

2600k @ 4.6ghz
16gb RAM
1070ti

I used to have a GTX 970 and had absolutely no problem with GTA V on this PC

but 2 months ago I sold my 970 and bought a 1070ti, and now my performance in GTA V is worse than before

All other games use ~99% of my GPU, but GTA V is using 20% of my GPU, I can't even reach 60fps at 1080p with medium/high

For some reason, it seems that GTAV is not reporting correct GPU usage in task manager. I'm using the EVGA Precision X1 app (similar to afterburner) to monitor it as well, and the reported usage is much higher. With that being said... my performance in that game still is not great and I am not sure why. I can run Battlefield V on the highest settings at 1440p at well over 100+ FPS but not this several year old game!

Back