• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 1070 crashing steam games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LA357SIG

Registered
I upgraded my PC a few days ago and cannot run Steam games on anything much higher than Medium. So far I can play Euro Truck Simulator 2 on the highest settings without crashing. GTA V crashes after the loading screen on Story mode except for safe mode (800x600) and sometimes makes it through the benchmark. Grid 2 stutters a lot on the loading screen animation and crashes on High settings when the benchmark is done and loading the results. I was watching the GPUZ as it ran the benchmark and the GPU Load was 49% max when it crashed.

I am assuming the graphics card is the culprit due to just the application crashing (shuts down with no error code) and not the whole computer, but am not ruling out my motherboard (MSI B150 M3) and Windows 10. The CPU is a i5 6500 and has 16GB of 2133 mhz ram. (max frequency of the mobo.)

I did wipe and reinstall Steam, GTA V and Nvidia drivers.

And I did have a GTX 760 before this and played most non-online multiplayer games on high settings. (i5 3570k/z77 mobo/16gb ram/windows 7)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I did some more troubleshooting and tried a GTX 650ti and it did the same thing on high settings. Then I tried the on board graphics while uninstalling all nvidia drivers and applications, and it crashed again after the second race on high settings. I don't think a i5 6500 would be the weak link nor my Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 2133Mhz RAM or B150 chipset motherboard. Could it be just Windows 10/Steam interaction?

What PSU?

Corsair CX750

This is a weird one.

Have you gone into your steam games and verify that they are not corrupted? (This happens every once in a while for some of my games.)

I don't remember exactly how to do it, but it was pretty easy from what I remember. I think you go into your game in the steam control app and select "verify game cache" or something like that.

Was your Windows 10 install a clean install or an upgrade?

This is a weird one.

Have you gone into your steam games and verify that they are not corrupted? (This happens every once in a while for some of my games.)

I don't remember exactly how to do it, but it was pretty easy from what I remember. I think you go into your game in the steam control app and select "verify game cache" or something like that.

Yep. I did that and even completely deleted one game and reinstalled it along with Steam. They work on safe mode and medium to low graphics settings, but not stable on high.

- - - Updated - - -

Was your Windows 10 install a clean install or an upgrade?

It was a clean install. When upgrading from windows 7 to 10, I chose the format disk drive option and totally erased my ssd.

- - - Updated - - -

I will download Origin later to see if it is just Steam or my system.

I installed Origin and played BF4 campaign on ultra settings and it didn't crash and ran some benchmark programs from MSI and everything works as it should. I wonder why I can't play Steam games like I did with Windows 7 and older hardware.

In the past, I've found the Geforce Experience App to cause issues like you are experiencing. Try disabling it/ removing it.

Back