• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 280/260 Specs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
what is interesting is to see no PCIE 2.0 in that gpu ss... wonder if they are still working on that or what..

Hi I am really looking forward to this card it is finally a true next gen card be it wothout DX10.1 but the speeds alone and the drivers which really need to be optomized still for DX10 hopefully will be why jump the gun and leap into a new DX10.1 interface? I might be wrong but does this mean that since it has 3 way SLI that it'll be just as good as 3 GX2s, sine it'll be close or above the speeds with the same MB and mem speeds? That would be equal to 6 Gpu's in SLI for the 9800 GX2. Again I could be way off what do ya think?

Hi I am really looking forward to this card it is finally a true next gen card be it wothout DX10.1 but the speeds alone and the drivers which really need to be optomized still for DX10 hopefully will be why jump the gun and leap into a new DX10.1 interface? I might be wrong but does this mean that since it has 3 way SLI that it'll be just as good as 3 GX2s, sine it'll be close or above the speeds with the same MB and mem speeds? That would be equal to 6 Gpu's in SLI for the 9800 GX2. Again I could be way off what do ya think?

you'd need a small.. no.. a LARGE fission reactor to power 2 of them. 3 would be insane.

I see alot of people concerned about the card not being dx10.1.

Just to throw it out there, keep in mind while there are, of course, games out there that use it, most are not optimized for dx10 and are still dx9 centric (Crysis the notable exception.) It may be that these cards will be dx10.1 compliant but won't have optimized drivers for them until sometime after release which is why we see nothing on 10.1 now.

As for PCIE 2.0 wouldn't these guys pretty much HAVE to be 2.0 due to the sheer information throughput? I mean, as is you can put a PCIE 2.0 card in a 1.0 (or 1.1) slot and as far as the setup will be concerned the card will be PCIE1.0 (or 1.1)

I see alot of people concerned about the card not being dx10.1.

Just to throw it out there, keep in mind while there are, of course, games out there that use it, most are not optimized for dx10 and are still dx9 centric (Crysis the notable exception.) It may be that these cards will be dx10.1 compliant but won't have optimized drivers for them until sometime after release which is why we see nothing on 10.1 now.

As for PCIE 2.0 wouldn't these guys pretty much HAVE to be 2.0 due to the sheer information throughput? I mean, as is you can put a PCIE 2.0 card in a 1.0 (or 1.1) slot and as far as the setup will be concerned the card will be PCIE1.0 (or 1.1)

PCI-E 1.0 isn't even saturated yet fully using a single card. Yes 2 cards talking back and forth can start hampering it and surely 3 will make it suffer even more.

Overall PCI-E 2.0 ups the bandwidth which makes it nicer for dual card solutions, faster latencies which helps, but as well it ups the voltage the card slot can give to the card as well too 100 or 150W forgot which from 75W.

Pics!

GTX280_cards.jpg

GTX280_core.jpg

GTX280_ram.jpg

GTX280_power.jpg

Here are some close-up shots of a stripped down GeForce GTX 280 card for you guys to enjoy over the weekend. The markings on the IHS is labeled as G200-300-A2 and has a total of 16 Hynix 0.8ns GDDR3 memory chips
source - http://vr-zone.com/articles/GeForce_GTX_280_Card_Stripped_Naked/5856.html

The first pic cracked me up a bit.

The last pic made me cry :cry:

Lol, that sucks pretty hard for you. I dont really mind, I have more than enough lol. Not enough for tri-sli on these babies though...then again 1000 watts wont cut it either.

So based on the last pic, what PSU are we looking at minimum to run this beast? Will my 700W be enough?

umm you dont need no 700watt for a single card.. they are showing the connectors that can be used. the carry the norm 6pin pcie connector till the new 8pin becomes more mainstream on psu's. i bet i could run that card on my OCZ PS520 and its about 4-5 years old now...

700 wont be enough. Just look at what you need for GX2 lol. 2 in SLI is at least 1200.
this is a single gpu card pimp, its not a dual gpu card like the GX2... you dont need no 700watts for it to run....

umm you dont need no 700watt for a single card.. they are showing the connectors that can be used. the carry the norm 6pin pcie connector till the new 8pin becomes more mainstream on psu's. i bet i could run that card on my OCZ PS520 and its about 4-5 years old now...

So the two types are just OPTIONS basically? I figured we had to connect 8pin AND 6pin at the same time. haha that was quite dumb of me

So the two types are just OPTIONS basically? I figured we had to connect 8pin AND 6pin at the same time. haha that was quite dumb of me

correct...in the case of the ATI card if the 8pin was not detected to be plugged in. it woudlnt allow ocing the GPU core speed, once plugged in it would allow you too. this may be the same case with this card, dunno yet though, wait and see.

correct...in the case of the ATI card if the 8pin was not detected to be plugged in. it woudlnt allow ocing the GPU core speed, once plugged in it would allow you too. this may be the same case with this card, dunno yet though, wait and see.

Ahh okay! Thanks for clearing that out. I was beginning to think that its the last time ill ever upgrade my PC again. Cant afford to keep on buying the right components for a perfect setup (which is never possible in the tech world)

Im looking forward to the GTX 260...that will be more interesting as more ppl can afford that as compared to the GTX 280.

hmm, when it was explained to me, it came off as needing both :confused: but if not, awesome, although i have enough connectors to SLI AND use both 6pin and 8pin on both lol :D

Back