• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 470 reflow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thermaltake

Registered
Hi I have gtx 470 that boots but I can only see BIOS and windows loading logo and when she want's to enter windows there is only black screen. I tried everything and it turns out it's graphic card becouse I put her in EGPU in my friends slot on laptop and she gave nvl....dll file bsod. Symptoms started after this described problem few weeks before. When I was turning my PC in the morning my monitor won't give signal sometimes at all but I can hear on disks that he booted into my win 8.1 x64 normally. Then I press power button and he shuts down and like that few times and monitor gets signal I also found out when she "died" or did what I wrote in first sentence that my cable was faulty becouse when I connect same cable on my onboard card it's doing same thing like my gtx 470, so I replace him with new one and it was good, but nvidia is still not showing picture when that welcome screen needs to show. So I decided to do reflow with heatgun. I was about to ask if anyone here have some experience in doing this I watched few videos on yt and it don't seems like some kind of a big deal I mean I know I can't blow heat on her for 5 minutes I saw how long is that dude on yt doing and it was like 20-30 seconds and he gently decreased temperature from that 170C to cool on 140C by blowing that hot air from heatgun from a distance, and after that he left her to cool off by herself on room temp. So if someone can tell me is that all I should know I mean guy from yt have that metal heatsing where thermal pads goes under when he was blowing with gun I don't know if that's okay becouse thermal pads will burn out. I was about to do it without that metal heatsink and put maybe some metal foil or maybe even nothing becouse I will be really careful not to blow anywhere else. What do you think about that, is it just gpu or maybe it's even memory should I heat the memory too or just gpu ?

Last edited:
170c isn't enough to get solder to flow. So you basically just warmed your card up.

So what is this guy doing then ?

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqYE0waudIE[/URL]

And why is he having that metal heatsink on her while doing it I mean if thermal pads are under they are totally dry.

I was wondering how weak is his heatgun becouse mine is 300C on first speed and second one is 600C.

Last edited:
Ive reflowed my old 8800gts in an oven before. I forget the exact temp...450* F i think. take off everything that would melt and basically leave the graphics card as just chips on the PCB, place it upside down (the way it would mount normally in ATX setup, so like...fan down basically), prop it up evenly using rolled up balls of aluminum foil on the far end (the front should be propped up by the plate), and bake for like 13 minutes. I forgot exactly how long i did it but theres thread and videos all over the internet on doing this.

Bought me another 6 months with the card.

Yeah, oven method generally safe and often can be effective if the soldered traces are the problem. elevate the card off the cookie sheet with little balls of tin foil.

Oven method is not an option only heatgun. I know more people that used heatgun instead of oven and used that same card for over a year without any problems, I was just looking for some of your opinions on that.

Last edited:
Becouse I can't use oven for that unfortunately so that's why it's not an option. I know long time for that method and I did few things by myself in oven back in the days but now heatgun is only option.

Becouse I can't use oven for that unfortunately so that's why it's not an option. I know long time for that method and I did few things by myself in oven back in the days but now heatgun is only option.

Oh, so the missus won't let you cook your video card in the oven, hey? They don't like it when you put your car's carburetor in the dishwasher either. I've learned you just do things like that without asking first.

Oh, so the missus won't let you cook your video card in the oven, hey? They don't like it when you put your car's carburetor in the dishwasher either. I've learned you just do things like that without asking first.

And then when your wife asks why her dishes smell like gasoline, you say "I don't know, but lets go for a ride later." LOL

Back