• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 560 thermal pads?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CntrlAltDel

Registered
I recently discovered that my GPU's (Gigabyte GTX 560) VRAM area is causing havoc with regards to thermals. My temperatures on full load is 100°C within a minute of it being on full load. So I decided to take everything out of my case and run it in the open. I put 2x 120mm fans behind the GPU (around the PCB) and the idle temp dropped from 38°C to 28°C, I ran stress test once again and it took much longer to hit 100°c then it normally would. That is just confirmation that the heat is coming from the VRAM area of the card as seen here:

2iarlue.jpg

You can see here that the area where the heat is sourced from is not covered by the heatsink:

b55tg9.jpg

Is there anyway I can get that area in contact with the GPU's heatsink or any of heat conductor like thermal pads that would make the fan's job easier.

[UPDATE]
I've decided to go with an aftermarket cooler from Arctic Cooling. I decision to make and I'm not entirely clued up on what to look for in a VGA cooler but I've been able to narrow it down to 2 different coolers. Which of following two cool's better?

Arctic Cool Accelero Mono PLUS
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/455/accelero-mono-plus.html?c=2182

Arctic Cool Accelero Twin Turbo II
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/375/accelero-twin-turbo-ii.html?c=2182

Last edited:
The height between the PCB and the heatsink is around 0.80mm - 1 CM in difference which means I'll need a 1 CM thick thermal pad, not sure if they exist.

Tpads squish a lot. Buy some from Preformance PC's, they sell diff thicknesses. Read up on the card and cooler forum.

Figure out how to add secondary HS to the parts that get hot.

You could easily have a bad mount, bad pads on the Vregs in that area.

Or bad airflow. Out in the open (good idea) do you have ANY airflow over that area?

Tpads squish a lot. Buy some from Preformance PC's, they sell diff thicknesses. Read up on the card and cooler forum.

Figure out how to add secondary HS to the parts that get hot.

You could easily have a bad mount, bad pads on the Vregs in that area.

Or bad airflow. Out in the open (good idea) do you have ANY airflow over that area?

Yes I do. But I've tried running an office fan beside the case and the temps were still as bad so airflow is not the main issue. I'm working on deciding which of the two aftermarket coolers I listed above I want. They seem to work with VRAM heatsinks which I'm looking for as for it's current state, I wouldn't be able to fan a 1 CM VRAM heatsink

Back