• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3090 strix thermal pads thickness ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rrul

Registered
Probably going for a re-paste as my temps seem pretty high.

Power limit 123%, +40 core +1000 mem (can go higher in 3dmark but crashes in games), reaches 89C in Cyberpunk.

Others have way lower temps.

Case is small, Meshify C, but there is a 140mm Noctua Industrial high CFM/flow intake directly in front of the card (albeit partly blocked by the GPU's plastic shroud but still providing additional air), plus a 120mm Noctua exhaust, both hooked up to the GPU connectors to run in sync. So small case but when the going gets tough additional air is supplied and extracted.

Plastic shroud also seems to run askew, very wide tolerances for a 2000,- GPU... smh :
So was thinking of replacing paste and pads, anybody experience with this ?

Those temps seem right to me in that case...

Yeah, I think you may have a point. Probably I will leave it for now. The cooler shroud is a bit skewed but that's just the plastic casing and fans, the heatsink itself seems pretty flat over the PCB.

Probably the 123% PL is pushing it hotter and may not be worth it.

Update : did a re-paste anyways. Just gambled that the pads would be ok for re-use and they certainly seemed so. Now with kryonaut temps are like 10-15 degrees lower. Really was not expecting that :)

Something was wrong with the factory paste. Couldn't really make it out exactly but it seems a corner of the chip had less to no paste which may have caused a hotspot. I wonder whether application is done manually or automated.

Wow that's crazy to me that their QC would allow for poor thermal paste application on a $1500+ card...

According to ASUS' website "Strix means survival on the very edge of instinct." I'm guessing they didn't intend the very edge of thermal shutdown to be the idea?

Typically we see too much paste applied to gpus. The 3080 strix we reviewed was covered in the stuff, for example. But $1500 card to entry level the process would be the same. I dont imagine 10s of thousands of gpus are hand pasted.

Watercooling is the easy solution. The stock cooler cant handle that much heat. That is just how it is. There is a limitation on what you can do with air which is why these cards are getting hot. It's also why Nvidia invented this ridiculous '3 slot' GPU design which barely even fits in most midsize cases. They are getting desperate because there is no cheating physics and you just cant remove that much heat in such a small area without water cooling. That's why they are making the cards so damn large.

The strix 3-slot cooler does pretty well for 300W+ loads. It's quiet for me gaming and when tested quantitatively is one of the quietest out there. Water cooling will always be better (with proper raddage), but I wouldn't call it easy to setup either. Not rocket science, but not as simple as a properly pasted card (which they all generally are) running where it's supposed to/can. Install card, power, go.

The stock cooler, which is not what the strix has, does a pretty good job at keeping the cards running at acceptable levels without a ton of noise too. Check out some reviews and see how the reference cooler and strix perform... ;). Yes, they are larger.. but they do a pretty damn good job too. You don't "need" watercooling. ;)

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/9614/asus-rog-strix-geforce-rtx-3080-oc-edition/index.html

According to this review, the FE coolers keep cards using the same or more power COOLER...(1080/2080)
https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/asus_rtx_3080_oc_strix_review/21

Last edited:
The strix 3-slot cooler does pretty well for 300W+ loads. It's quiet for me gaming and when tested quantitatively is one of the quietest out there. Water cooling will always be better (with proper raddage), but I wouldn't call it easy to setup either. Not rocket science, but not as simple as a properly pasted card (which they all generally are) running where it's supposed to/can. Install card, power, go.

The stock cooler, which is not what the strix has, does a pretty good job at keeping the cards running at acceptable levels without a ton of noise too. Check out some reviews and see how the reference cooler and strix perform... ;). Yes, they are larger.. but they do a pretty damn good job too. You don't "need" watercooling. ;)

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/9614/asus-rog-strix-geforce-rtx-3080-oc-edition/index.html

According to this review, the FE coolers keep cards using the same or more power COOLER...(1080/2080)
https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/asus_rtx_3080_oc_strix_review/21

Well it depends on what temp you're fine with. The card is quiet if you're cool letting it get all the way up to 90C. But I can get less noise at 55C with a watercooled rig than most people can get at 85C with the stock HSF. So watercooling helps a ton.

Well it depends on what temp you're fine with. The card is quiet if you're cool letting it get all the way up to 90C. But I can get less noise at 55C with a watercooled rig than most people can get at 85C with the stock HSF. So watercooling helps a ton.
Again, look at reviews... they don't get to 90C. Mine runs in the mid 70s (along with the review(s) I linked) Of course ymmv, but all these reviews are about the same. Mid 70s...cooling 320W+. If you're not good with 300W running at 75C, I can't help you get over that non-issue. ;)

Sure, watercooling can make less noise...it's also another $300+ for a block, rad, pump, fittings, fans, etc (best case is another block $120+). That said, quiet wasn't the original talking point, but it's all a part of it.

Again, my point, contrary to your belief, is that these coolers can clearly handle the 300W+ loads in these cards. Yep, they are bigger..makes sense.. They may not do it as well or as quietly as water (which costs an addition $300), however the temperatures are WELL within operating range and the Strix is really quiet (the FE is too - have you actually heard one?).

Last edited:
Back