• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Gtx 580 overheating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theocurtis

Registered
Hi i have a gtx 580 with a valman vf300f and when i play extreme games like crisis 3 gta4 maxed out and other demanding games my temps shoot throgh the roof getting to 90 degrees centigrade:confused:, could it be that i have misapplied the thermal paste? i do have it clocked to 860/2010 with evga precision and volt is 1063mv

90C is about how hot you would want it to get... Have you turned the fan speed up? What is it set on?

i have my fan on 100 percent 24/7 but when it gets abouve 80 degrees in a game it either BSOD me or freezes or reboots

ahh ok thanks for the info :) is there a quantity limit to be put on or do i put the hole arctic silver tube on it?

For a GPU, like the size of a BB or slightly smaller. The entire tube would be 100x overkill. :)

You can test the proper amount by applying, putting the Heatsink on and tightening it down then removing it and looking...

ahh nice one EarthDog ill try that tommorow ill keep up the post to see if it is that ill close it again many thanks

+1, dont apply too much paste. When i first installed my TTII on my 670 i had good temp but after a few weeks, things got worst. I made a small X accros the GPU the first time, seems it was too much... after applying a normal amount, similar to what i apply on a CPU, i had much better temp and temp remained OK untill then. Its been ~2months i reapplyed and my GTX670 stay under 60°c while gaming at 1100mhz with a pretty silent fan curve.

I had 580's but mine was WCed. These card are heat/power monster when OCed ! :)

+1, dont apply too much paste. When i first installed my TTII on my 670 i had good temp but after a few weeks, things got worst. I made a small X accros the GPU the first time, seems it was too much... after applying a normal amount, similar to what i apply on a CPU, i had much better temp and temp remained OK untill then. Its been ~2months i reapplyed and my GTX670 stay under 60°c while gaming at 1100mhz with a pretty silent fan curve.

I had 580's but mine was WCed. These card are heat/power monster when OCed ! :)

just a question, with your 670 staying under 60c, what's your ambient temps?

Also ensure that the ram/fet heatsink is making good contact. Not sure why it would lock up or BSOD that's a minimal OC and these can handle up to 98°. I've had mine that high without any crash. If anything it should throttle itself back for protection. Nvidia has programmed that into the logic of this particular card, since it is a very power hungry chip they had to limit it for my protection. Same reason the new drivers won't let you go over 1000MHz on a fermi core!

All fixed now crysis 3 maxed out got to 74 degrees centigrade :) there was hardly any thermal paste on it and it was rock solid had to use a knife to get it off:/ thanks all you guys and Johan45 what clock speeds did you get your gtx580?

right well my temps are alright now but after 10/20 minuites gameplay my computer locks up and have to do a hard reset :/ any ideas?

what are your case temps doing? Are they increasing during that 10/20 minutes of gameplay?

my case temp is 31 degrees i have a cooler master HAFX the case has 4fans, on my gtx 580 i have a zalman vf300f with mounted on the rear of the card the original gigabyte triple fans blowing on the back, my q6850 is cooled by a H100.

I have found out why there is not enough airflow in my HAFX the front intake was not plugged in :facepalm: thanks everyone for there help now it is working smoothly thanks to replacing the thermal paste on the gtx 580 and of course reconnecting the fan at the front:cool: now the mobo is at 30 degrees and goes up 5 more while extensive gaming

Last edited:
Back