• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 780 Ti power supply?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lenix

Hello,

I'm thinking of selling my GTX 570 and getting a new 780 Ti but my mind tells me that my current PSU won't suffice.

My current specs are:

Gigabyte z87x-ud3h
Intel® Core™ i7-4770K
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB
EVGA GeForce GTX 570 SC
Gigabyte 610W
Onboard sound
2 HDDs
1 SSD
Mouse/Keyboard

Here is a photo of the power supply box:
CAM00045.jpg

This power supply never failed me and it's stable @ full load with the GTX 570.

So do you guys reckon it will fail to power the GTX 780 Ti?

Thanks,

Not really up on that particular brand, however it has enough juice to push a 780Ti as long as it can deliver the power advertised. Doing a quick search it has three rails, so make sure you balance them out properly

Well, it is an older psu with only 500 of its 720w on the 12v. That said IF it can out put all of those watts, you should be fine. Should. I'd look into getting a more modern psu personally. A 600w would be fine. See signature for a link to quality psus.

Thanks for the response.. Would it hurt the card if I try the current PSU before getting a new one?

I mean if the PSU is not capable, would it damage the card?

It shouldn't. But if it is a piece of garbage internally there is that small possibility.

lenix, if you can afford it I would replace your PSU. Why take any chances. PSUs are least efficient when they are at full load. I've seen EVGAs G1300 available for under $200. Its a very well reviewed PSU and will run in its sweetspot in your current system. Making it very efficient. Aswell as future proofing for upgrades.

Best of luck, Brian

A 1300w psu is not remotely appropriate for a single or even 2 780ti's. A quality 600w unit is plenty for one. Hell I run a 4930k @ 4.5ghz and a 780ti on a 560w psu. I barely broke 400w at the wall which puts it right at the psu sweet spot for efficiency.

Brian, youb may want to look at a few psi reviews to see where a psu is most efficient. It's not at ~30% load as you seem to infer.

Unless you have an amd octo core overclocked, there is no reason to get more than a 850w psu even for two gpus. If never going sli/cfx no reason.for more than 650w and that is with everything overflocked to.the moon while still being in the sweet part of.the efficiency band. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys.

I just got the card and I took a leap and ran everything on the current PSU.

Left pic taken during Unigine Heaven benchmark, Right pic is Watch dogs (Ultra settings) after 10 minutes of gameplay:
gpuz.png watchdogs1.png

Any idea what should I look for to know that the PSU is holding the card back? From what I've gathered, if the PSU is not capable then I should be having system instability and maybe overheating? So far games are running fine but it's hard to judge from one hour.

Last edited:
Any idea what should I look for to know that the PSU is holding the card back? From what I've gathered, if the PSU is not capable then I should be having system instability and maybe overheating? So far games are running fine but it's hard to judge from one hour.

Glad it's working for you!

If the PSU is having issues delivering the power you'll start getting random black screen shutdowns.

I doubt you'll have any issues, as games only load the CPU partially while loading the GPU fully.
In-game you're probably not pulling more than 300-350W

The PSU holding the card back will look like random shutdowns/crashes under load, burning smells, large SNAP! sounds, fire, and the PSU destroying everything plugged into it.

There isn't much of an intermittent stage.

Back