• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gtx560ti problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alynch0527

First, I would like to say to any grammer nazis, I'm typing this from my phone.
Ok, with that said.
My build consisted of two twin frozr ii 560ti gpus. I had a 775watt diablotek power supply, everything worked fine. I recently bought a corsair gs800 psu. I hooked it up and went to play a game, and the computer shut off. Made sure everything was connected securely, it continued to do the same thing. Eventually it stayed on without playing a game but then bsod. And the next time it stayed on but slowly a lot of green and pink pixels started crowding the screen. So I took out the new psu, put in the old one and it seemed fine. Then it shut off. And when I say shut off, the screen turns green and its frozen, but the computer is still running. So I of course have to turn it manually. I flipped the power switch on the psu and checked everything in the computer. I flipped it back on and the psu popped and started buzzing. So I immediately flipped it off and unplugged it and everything from the psu and took it off. Put in the new psu and went out and bought a cheap video card as I did not want to risk damaging my other 560. It worked fine. So I tried my other 560, its working fine as we speak. But heres the wierd part. When I had both 560 gpus in there, and checked the temps..niether went above 30º. And when powered off, the videocard does not even feel hot, just warm. I have plenty of ventilation, 7 case fans not including the two on the cpu cooler (closed loop water cooler). And since its working now, leads me to believe my card was overheating, but the temps never got high, even when gaming the day before. My temps do not go above 65º. Is there anything else that could be the problem, maybe the psu caused something? I checked the msi website and it said the card has a 3 year warranty if purchased after 2010. Its only a year old. Any help would be great.

Hmmm, usually when this kind of thing happens it points to either bad PSU or some circuit damage on the card. Since you're getting the same with two different PSU the culprit may be one of your cards. I'd probably disable the SLI and see if you get any problems running one GPU at a time - that may narrow it down to one of the cards.

Yea, I took out the card it was doing it with, and have just one card in there. Having no problems with it. But I just don't know what the problem is since the temps on the one card are not high at all. The psu is working fine with the one card. But that doesn't mean the same thing wont happen if i buy another 560 and put it in there, if it is the psu. I want to know before I do buy another card, or if I can replace the one under warranty. If its the psu, I still have time to take it back.

I can only point the finger at the card causing the issue. Sounds like you've diagnosed the issue. Question is is it under warranty?

I guess. I bought it off newegg, but msi goes by date codes and the code on mine says 1202, so I'm guessing feb of 2012? I did try it with just the one card that wasn't working and it got the same issue, will it be safe to assume it will be okay to put another card of the sane type in there without problems?

What happens if you put the other card in and remove the one you have there right now. Does it cause problems on its own? If it does then it is the card if not, it could be the PSU or the second slot on your mobo -> which reminds me, if the second card works just fine, try to use the other PCI slot instead of the you use now. That should narrow down the possibilities of what could be wrong.

Ive already stated I have the other card in and its working fine. It is in the first slot, so I know there's not a problem with the mobo. The card in there now was in the second slot. But like I said, I tried it with the "bad card" by itself, and it froze and went to a green screen just a few minutes into a game. Took that out, but the second card in, it worked just fine. But that doesn't mean that its not going to happe. If I get another card, go back to sli and it happens again because there is something wrong with the psu. I doubt its the second slot, if the same problem happened with just the first slot being used and nothing plugged into the second slot.

sorry, I missed that - it seems that the card is really the problem. If it is under the warranty there's no point of not returning it and getting a replacement. The corsair PSU to got is a quality one, there should be no problem with that

Yea and I just thought of returning the psu and testing another one. To cancel out the psu

Its been well over neweggs return policy. And I bought it more than a year ago. The psu I bought locally though

Back