• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Guide to wiping an SSD [Reset to factory defaults]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Updated first post with PartedMagic instructions. As others have said, this is the most painless way of performing a reset!

At a glance it looks like PartedMagic downloads are now an iso that installs a bootable CD or USB. I've booted off a CD it created and it appears PartedMagic is available for use. I'll proceed to your step 4 and see how it goes.

Nah, it may mark something for free, thats the exact same stuff a delete process from a HDD is being executed. Its not erased, its not even gone. The SSD will need 10 min or so to set all the stuff to default, its not done like that however.

Just reset two SSDs (X25M G1 and Vertex 60Gb) last week using PartedMagic. Certainly the most painless way to proceed.

It still won't post past the initial phase where it looks for HDDs, SSDs and CD drives. It just hangs. It won't even go as far as 'boot from CD...'

Very frustrating. I don't think a reinstall of the OS is going to help either. It almost is like the BIOS is corrupt.
Ideas?

That is a known symptom of a corrupted MBR. You must clear the MBR!

(When it just sits there after detecting the drives.)

Last edited:
I had some issues on ASUS CHV after performing SE on 2 of my M4. Both SSD were just crashing while Win7/Vista installation or just after with 0x800700xxx errors ( random 3 digits at the end ). I couldn't fix it with anything but DiskPart command in Win7 ( on other board ). Weird was that both SSD were working fine on any other board than CHV.
It's also recommended not to use Internal SE ( Parted Magic option ) on Crucial SSD.
I had no problems wiping any other SSD with Parted Magic.

I'm looking to erase my OCZ Agility 3 and reinstall windows on it (because I have a bunch of programs on there that need to be moved to my HDD (what will now be my main drive) and my default installation needs to be changed to my big drive as some games I try to install won't let me choose an installation location. It's either do this or uninstall all of my programs and reinstall all of my porgrams. IDK which to do yet =p. I found this link: http://www.ocztechnology.com/blog/?p=367

Seems pretty legit to me. What do you think?

Hmmm, or could I just cut and paste all of my program (x86) files from my C: to my D:?

Last edited:
I had some issues on ASUS CHV after performing SE on 2 of my M4. Both SSD were just crashing while Win7/Vista installation or just after with 0x800700xxx errors ( random 3 digits at the end ). I couldn't fix it with anything but DiskPart command in Win7 ( on other board ). Weird was that both SSD were working fine on any other board than CHV.
It's also recommended not to use Internal SE ( Parted Magic option ) on Crucial SSD.
I had no problems wiping any other SSD with Parted Magic.

Thanks, I've added this to the first post as a warning to other M4 users.

Please ignore my previous post. I used the p-magic method to try and wipe my ssd (agility 3). At first it said it wouldnt do it because the drive was frozen so i tried the sleep mode thing... no dice. so I found somewhere to "try following the following terminal based command :

hdparm-Y/dev/sdb

Disconnect/reconnect the power cable to target drive and run after 30seconds. "

I typed in the command and didnt bother unplugging and started to clear the drive (most likely before 30 seconds). Either way, it said starting, then it said it will be done in 2 minutes, but was literally INSTANTLY done. Just concerned something happened. Should I try the process over again? Should I try a different process?

This is normal for it to take seconds/instant. Its an SSD, not a HDD so.....and the smaller the drive the quicker.

I only had to disconnect the power until I started loading Gparted.

I have my Hard Disk Locked but I can't unlocked it using hdparm:
Samsung
Model: HS08XJC
HDD P/N: HS08XJC/D
lba 153,301,488 80gb n1c
S/N: S18EJ16PB06838
Any help extended is highly appreciated. I'm open for any suggestion

[root@localhost ~]# hdparm -I /dev/sdc
/dev/sdc:
ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number: SAMSUNG HS08XJC
Serial Number: S18EJ16PB06838
Firmware Revision: GR100-01
Security:
Master password revision code = 65534
supported
enabled
not frozen
not expired

[root@localhost ~]# hdparm --security-unlock p /dev/sdc
security_password="p"
/dev/sdc:
Issuing SECURITY_UNLOCK command, password="p", user=master
SECURITY_UNLOCK: Input/output error

[root@localhost ~]# hdparm --security-unlock tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt /dev/sdc
security_password="ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt t"
/dev/sdc:
Issuing SECURITY_UNLOCK command, password="tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt", user=master
SECURITY_UNLOCK: Input/output error

Btw, I've tried atapwd and hdderase and both are asking for the correct master password :(

I tried using parted magic V4.10 but I can't see the sleep so I tried to remove the HD and put it back but still didn't detect the HD :(

Hi and welcome to the forums!

With parted magic, after it puts your computer to sleep, simply hit the reset button or enter to wake it up. Once your computer wakes up, run the secure erase command again. It should work. Parted magic works for most drives. I have tried it on Intel and more recently, my Samsung 830.

S-N

I was able to put it to sleep by typing pm-suspend. When I wake it up, I ran secure erase and it detected the HD. There was no error erasing the HD but it is still locked :( Does it means the HD is bricked? :(

Can you post a couple of screenshots? You do not have to use the console for anything. I don't think your drive is bricked. Make sure you are connecting to the primary controller (usually SATA 1). Are you booting from the parted magic USB?

I downloaded parted magic 2012 and burn on DVD-RW. I use the DVD to boot. I'll post tomorrow the screen shot once I get home. My netbook has only one connection and I think it is an IDE 1.8" HD.
My Hard Disk is:
Samsung
Model: HS08XJC
HDD P/N: HS08XJC/D
lba 153,301,488 80gb n1c
S/N: S18EJ16PB06838
My Netbook is Dell Latitude D430

I boot up using my burned parted magic 2012 DVD and run Secure Erase.
8121440416_5054c1f9f9.jpg

If I don't run pm-suspend then it will not detect the HD but it does detect the USB where in I'm saving the screen shots.
8121440646_4b2a9db99b.jpg

After I run pm-suspend and power on back the server only then it detected the HD (don't know why my USB is no longer showing but it is still connected).
8121425167_760423508b.jpg

I proceed with Secure Erase with empty password (tried with password but also didn't work)
8121440612_0b81aca6e2.jpg

I click Yes to continue
8121440704_2003ffe71f.jpg

I tried both Enhanced Secure Erase and not but both didn't work
8121440690_fdbb58f66d.jpg
8121425233_6fba72b423.jpg
8121425215_7c5e32b25b.jpg

Also I tried using dd disk , shred , nwipe and Erase MBR after that but none work.

Last edited:
No updates... Looks like I have to wait until a HD is available in the local store. :(

Back