• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Guys! i need some help/advice!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So you're saying when you hit the power button the fans come on and everything appears to power up, but you never get any video or post beeps? You mentioned messing around with the "dummy" ram. I'm a bit confused by that. Rimm 4200 is 32 bit single channel rdram. It doesn't require pairs of ram installed, but it uses a continuity rimm in empty channels to complete the circuit. Is that what you're talking about? You do have all of the power connectors hooked up right? I mean the EZ plug, aux, and main. Have you tried clearing the cmos and holding down the insert key while powering on? This sounds just like the dual xeon supermicro board I got. It has a weird power connector that most other P4 approved psu's don't come with. I tried to see if it would run without it. I got the same thing. Everything comes on - fans, hard drive, etc, but no video or beeps. When I got the correct power supply it booted just fine.

How about a bum monitor. Did you verify that it is working 4.0.

Mine has recently started not quite waking up from power saving mode. Have to reboot to get it to click on.

Just a thought.

only other thing I would try would be a PCI vid card (if you haven't already)

I've got a cele system thats doing the same thing right now...fans and drives and everything fires up but no boot. i figured out it was the board, I'm not sure what on the board it is but the board just quit booting up the other day when I swapped CPU's

i've tried both AGP & a old PCI video card already.

TC, what i meant is the board comes w/ a RAM look-alike thing. i'm sure u know what i'm talking 'bout. and as the manual said, it needs to be there if just a stick of RIMM is used.

should i also plug in the EZ plug too?? i thought i could be either EZplug or those P4 type connector? or it should be both in?!

also, monitor is in good shape. keyboard lights on (num/cap/scroll).....

pls tell me the board isn't bad......been waiting for it for sooooo long......:eh?:

you should be using every power plug you possibly can, so connect that atx 12v line and the EZplug
(my mobo runs without both, go figure)
have you tried booting with just the mobo,cpu,ram and vid in the box?
and power may be an issue if its not booting, had this problem with an AMD board not having enough juice to boot.

yeah, it's ONLY mobo, cpu, ram, video, (try w/ & w/out NIC too).

it's the same psu that i was using for my 1.8a @ 2.6G. so, it's gotta be in good shape.

check my other thread, some guys suggest i'll need to clean the CMOS(?). will try later on today.....

Which rig is this? I'm most certain it maybe the mobo and even a possibility of it being the chip. You could try moving the chip over from that rig to a working one right now.

I'm having PC troubles as well, ram is messed up and I gotta send it back to someone for an RMA.

Yodums

Yodums said:
Which rig is this? I'm most certain it maybe the mobo and even a possibility of it being the chip. You could try moving the chip over from that rig to a working one right now.
I'm having PC troubles as well, ram is messed up and I gotta send it back to someone for an RMA.
Yodums
oh no.....pls don't tell me it's bad/dead!!

it's my new P4T533 w/ 256 4200RIMM and a 2.26G.

will give it another try later on today & try to clear the CMOS too.

LandShark said:

oh no.....pls don't tell me it's bad/dead!!

it's my new P4T533 w/ 256 4200RIMM and a 2.26G.

will give it another try later on today & try to clear the CMOS too.

Just swapping the chip first, it's the easiest and fastest way to find out whether it is the mobo or not. Sorry but this is what happens to me every month!

I had this exact problem after upgrading the HSF on my Athlon a while ago. I felt so dumb when I figured it out. What I did was put a new AX-7 on it with a nice big fan(forgot what) then I also got 2 new case fans and one for my video card. I hooked everything up and the fans powered and that was it. I thought I might have messed up the video card so I took it to work to try another card. Put a new one in and nothing. Put my old one back in and it worked. I had forgotten to hookup the extra case fans. They where drawing to much power. So I went home and got an old AT power supply and hooked the fans up to that and everything works perfict. So try unhooking a few fans and see if you can boot.

well, all it has is just mobo, old PCI video card, a NIC, a stick of 4200RIMM 256MB, a hard drive, 1 Sanyo fan for the AX-478, and that's it!! nothing else!!

and did try to clear the CMOS, still no go?! :(

will swap my 1.6a in it to see whether it's the borad or the chip or........both...........:rolleyes:

Does that board have some kind of RPM Monitoring? Where as it needs the RPM of a fan to come on... Hmmm. If you have a 3pin low amped 80mm, you may want to try that.

ok, latest news!!

swap in my 1.6a, still no post!! put in the 2.26G from the board into my 1.6a rig. boot up and currently running @ 2.67G (hard drive and this damn P4S533 limiting me, posted @ 166FSB.....) no problem.

Yodum, that's what i'm thinking too. didn't really try that out though. guess it's the last chance for it before i call it defeated....

will let u guys know.

btw, tks for all u guys' suggestion!!

Had a feeling it was the motherboard. Good Luck to you Gary. I think out of all possible hardware damages, the motherboard is the biggest PITA to replace.

Update:

plug in a small fan on the cpu fan header, no go!

changed 3 video card included 2 pci 1 agp geforce4.

last option, swap a bigger psu and see.......:rolleyes:

Back