• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

h50 Corsair Cooler won't fit my Thermaltake v4 Case!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

postfix

Registered
Hey all. I decided today that I could no longer accept my high CPU temps so I picked up an h50 corsair water cooler on sale at Fry's for $50. I got home, and had issues with the instructions with the box, so I went by the manual and got the back bracket mounted onto the motherboard and the front ring as well.

However, whenever attempting to put the 120MM fan and the actual cooler in place, it wouldn't fit! There isn't enough clearance in the top of my case.. Any ideas or solutions? I tried mounting from the top, either way it will cover the CPU or hit my memory.

My Case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133179

tmW20.jpg
hyg9y.jpg

I attempted to install it both ways without any luck. Any recommendations highly appreciated.

Well you got a problem there :p But don't fret all you need to do is an outside mount. Some people actually prefer an outside mount because it allows more fresh air into the rad anyway!

2a9bbih.png.jpg

If you do plan to do this however make sure to reverse the fan in the front of your case if you have one. That way the H50 fan will blow air into the case and the fan in the front will blow it out of the case. From what I've seen and heard you H50 would be in no danger outside the case :D

Also :welcome: to the forum!

try putting it on one of the top vents?

I tried this, it covers the CPU block either way, on the other side it also hits the memory chips.

Well you got a problem there :p But don't fret all you need to do is an outside mount. Some people actually prefer an outside mount because it allows more fresh air into the rad anyway!

2a9bbih.png.jpg

If you do plan to do this however make sure to reverse the fan in the front of your case if you have one. That way the H50 fan will blow air into the case and the fan in the front will blow it out of the case. From what I've seen and heard you H50 would be in no danger outside the case :D

Also :welcome: to the forum!

Thanks!!

So your saying a 120MM fan on both sides (inside and on the outside)? How will I go about getting the cable/heatsink through the case though?

Hmm I forgot the H50 is a sealed unit isn't it? The only way I could think of it to break the seal which would ruin the unit so don't do that.

You said there's not enough clearance to mount it from the top? Did you try using only one fan instead of push/pull? Even if you could only use the one fan that would be better than stock.

I tried this, it covers the CPU socket or hits my ram.

Hmm I forgot the H50 is a sealed unit isn't it? The only way I could think of it to break the seal which would ruin the unit so don't do that.

You said there's not enough clearance to mount it from the top? Did you try using only one fan instead of push/pull? Even if you could only use the one fan that would be better than stock.

Well there is only 1 fan with it. I tried mounting it in the bottom of the case with no luck either, the cable doesn't reach quite that far in a full sized tower unfortunately. I guess I'll have to drill some holes and lower that 120mm fan down a half inch or so :(

See I would recommend the drilling except since it's a sealed unit you couldn't even put the hose's through the holes, there's no way to disconnect and reconnect without the fluid draining.

You sure you have a full tower? Because mine is classified as a mid-tower (Lian-Li) and the H50 fit in mine with plenty of room I even moded it later on.

Looked up your case on the egg I see what's going on now... Now this may be very unorthodox but with one fan would it fit on that side panel inside where the vent is?

If that doesn't work you may consider taking the H50 back for a refund at Fry's, I know my local best buy accepted mine back with receipt after I batched the install the first time and ruptured the radiator.

Then you could take that money back and get a Hyper 212 or a Noctua D14, the Hyper 212 is only $20-$30USD and a lot of people around the forum say it's quite a deal. Also the H50 isn't quite as good as it boasts, I liked it but they make you think that it'll be the end all solution to your temp problems in reality it's just like a good quality fan.

Only reason I mention these ideas is because a google search showed me that several people have had the same problem as you, it looks like you might be S.O.L. on this one :(

I got it in place! Only 3 of the 4 screws in place between the fan and the actual cooler but, still in place and not going anywhere. I can't believe the temps I'm getting compared to stock (see this thread).

I'm sitting at 20-24C after a boot. I'm so pleased with this purchase. Corsair ftw :)

F7nuX.png

Now it's time to start OC'ing :p

Excellent! I'm glad to hear you got things going. 20C is pretty nice on an intel but you won't know the extent to which the corsair is really helping until you stress that puppy. Anything is better than stock HSF though so I'm sure either way you'll be pleased :)

Excellent! I'm glad to hear you got things going. 20C is pretty nice on an intel but you won't know the extent to which the corsair is really helping until you stress that puppy. Anything is better than stock HSF though so I'm sure either way you'll be pleased :)

Yeah, I'm about to break out prime95 now :p Thanks again for the comments :)

Back