• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED H50 Won't Cool Properly Extremely High Temps (Help ASAP)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MyBlaster

Registered
Sorry Mods please move my thread to water cooling. My mistake.

I just got my new H50 and I'm replacing the stock i7 930 heatsink on my first build. Here's the deal: I got the H50 two days ago, installed it for the first time and immediately the ASUS Mobo software said 93 degrees CPU and 89 degrees for system

(Unsure if this was correct, seems absurd especially for computer to be that hot).

I rebooted the computer and the temps were fine for an intel stock cooler, at around 32 degrees. Progressively my temps were climbing on the cpu until above 40 degrees and inching close to 50 when navigating Win 7. I ran Prime 95 and my temps reached a scorching 85 degrees on the cpu so I immediately stopped it, other tests of Prime 95 were at 78 degrees and climbing 1 degree every 3 seconds.

To make a long story short. I got my H50 and it's not cooling properly. I'm sure all smartfans are off and I've been checking the motor and the fans, both run at around 1360 and 1750 (give or take 30 rpms) respectively.

When I've removed the Water block and re installed I noticed that the CPU is not covered in thermal, but no matter how many times I reinstall it won't sit properly. Is it my mobo (CPU Retention bracket maybe?), or something else.

Im using the H50 with the fan set up as intake blowing in the computer.

I really just need some input, please help. My AIM is Yungxclusive2K9 and my Skype is (ISTimberland) please leave a message here or message me using one of those services if you think you could help.

I would really appreciate any help.

#Update: I removed the stock themal on the h50 and put some (An)tec Formula 5, I know the cpu should be much cooler regardless of the thermal not curing.

I also posted this over at the Corsair forums.

My System
ASUS P6X58D-E
i7 930 (Not OC) 2.80ghz
Corsair 4GB DDR3 (unsure of exact model and speed)
EVGA GTX 460 768mb (not OC)
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 500GB HDD
OCZ 600 Watt (Unsure of exact model, will update later)
Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)
CM Storm Scout Case (Back fan removed for H50 fan and Radiator, top fan 120mm fan that was in the back)

Last edited:
did you remove the protective cover from the h50 base (contact with cpu base)

is the motor power hooked up to a molex (it should always be running at 100%)

did you remove the protective cover from the h50 base (contact with cpu base)

is the motor power hooked up to a molex (it should always be running at 100%)

what protective cover are you talking about? I know that I've removed the thermal compound on the bottom so I guess I removed the protective cover? did I not?

sounds to me like you're either mounting it wrong or you got a bum unit...they aren't as reliable as you would think. Open an RMA ticket with corsair or your etailer and get a new unit.

sounds to me like you're either mounting it wrong or you got a bum unit...they aren't as reliable as you would think. Open an RMA ticket with corsair or your etailer and get a new unit.

ugh I really hope I don't have to go through that, honestly I think the H50 is working fine, but the contact with the cpu is bare minimum. I honestly hope someone can help.

I'd be willing to bet it's not. I've seen a couple of dead ones come through here, every now and then corsair just ships a lemon

I'd be willing to bet it's not. I've seen a couple of dead ones come through here, every now and then corsair just ships a lemon

I surely hope not, anyway I can check?

What about the CPU, i just removed the H50 again and my CPU has very little thermal on it, mainly at the top but still not very much.

My buddy forgot to plug his H70 in, temps were horrid - 80C+

Make sure it's getting power, and if it is and it's not functioning, get a refund/replacement.

the cpu fan that's on the radiator is running at 1750 around that range and the motor that is on top of the cpu is at around 1360, I've just unhooked everything. everything is off at the moment.

what protective cover are you talking about? I know that I've removed the thermal compound on the bottom so I guess I removed the protective cover? did I not?

So if you removed the thermal compound what did you use in its place? The fan and pump are reading the correct rpm. I had the H50 on an i7 920 and it did the same thing but mine would not make good surface contact with the cpu (pump was easy to twist with finger tips in the retaining bracket) but even after making better contact with the cpu it still would not cool properly and got worse over a two day period so I returned it for another style cooler.

Man you got to figure out a way to get more pressure on the water block. If it doesn't make good contact with the CPU face it cannot do its job. Can you use washers or something to increase the pressure? I've never installed a water cooling unit but I looked at the pictures of the components on NewEgg. Looks like you should be able to put some small washers under the screw heads that hold force the retainer ring down on the water block/motor head flange. Wouldn't that put more pressure down on the ring? Or what about order another ring to stack two together and make it stiffer? It looks pretty flimsy.

Last edited:
Man you got to figure out a way to get more pressure on the water block. If it doesn't make good contact with the CPU face it cannot do its job. Can you use washers or something to increase the pressure? I've never installed a water cooling unit so I'm not really sure how the water block is bolted down. I now you can use washers on some air cooler bases to shim under the pressure clamp to force more downward pressure.

I believe that is the problem more than anything, I don't know why the H50 isn't making thermal contact with the CPU (in theory, judging by the thermal paste).

im still looking for a solid solution so if you have any suggestions please post then I will start to fix

test the mounting pressure
start a stress test, then push down on the block, if you see a significant temp drop you've found your problem, if not you have to keep looking.

test the mounting pressure
start a stress test, then push down on the block, if you see a significant temp drop you've found your problem, if not you have to keep looking.

I was going to do this but then I said eh, I don't want to risk bending cpu pins on mobo

I was going to do this but then I said eh, I don't want to risk bending cpu pins on mobo

You cant really. The CPU is hold in place by the mounting system. And you need to apply the pressure straight on, and not from an angle, then you should be fine.

One of the biggest problems with the H50 is that is uses standoffs between the motherboard and the retaining ring so it does not matter how tight you tighten those very small threads on the retainer screws it cannot put anymore pressure against the block to cause it to make better contact with the cpu, it will only put pressure against the standoffs and possibly break the screws.

standoff.jpg

One of the biggest problems with the H50 is that is uses standoffs between the motherboard and the retaining ring so it does not matter how tight you tighten those very small threads on the retainer screws it cannot put anymore pressure against the block to cause it to make better contact with the cpu, it will only put pressure against the standoffs and possibly break the screws.

standoff.jpg

ok with that image, now I'm annoyed and ready to take this crap back to Microcenter and get the Coolmaster 212 Hyper heatsink, this is extremely irritating and I don't believe I've done anything wrong.

I'm a new PC builder and I'm super paranoid about anything going wrong with my PC, this situation has put me in an uncomfortable position,

Back