• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED H50 Won't Cool Properly Extremely High Temps (Help ASAP)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No matter how many times I've reseated this thing it is still not making good contact with the CPU.

have you tried pushing on it? It could be that you've got a mounting bracket that was made incorrectly or a board that's not what corsair was expecting.

m0r7if3r, When I had the H50 I tried it on three different boards (ASUS [Intel], Biostar [AMD] and Foxconn Destroyer [AMD]) and still had the same isssue. But after thinking about it I wondered if removing the thick TIM that the manufacturer had on it and using AS5 and other TIM that I had in the numerous remounts that I tried could have allowed for the extra space so there was not firm pressure against the cpu, which would mean that there never would be water block contact against the cpu only a thick layer of TIM. The retaining bracket was very rigid on mine and was springy so if you tried to deform it the retaining ring would just go back to original shape, I measured with a caliper to confirm this when I tried to deform mine to put more pressure against the waterblock but finally said the heck with it and returned so I could get the D14 and haven't regretted it.

Last edited:
Could you turn the retaining ring over so that the mounting legs angled up instead of down, this giving more free space between the legs and the standoffs?

Could you turn the retaining ring over so that the mounting legs angled up instead of down, this giving more free space between the legs and the standoffs?

Inside the retaining ring is a row of tangs that align with the pump/water block to keep it held in place so you wouldn't be able to flip the ring and have it hold it in place, as well as the screws would be to short and they are a shouldered screw. I had considered filing the standoffs down some to allow the ring to apply more pressure to the pump/water block but in order for it to be even pressure it would require that they all have the same amount removed as well as the shoulder on the screws may have needed some relief in order for clearance so they would not make contact with the back plate, I just figured that it would be more work that it was worth to do this.

I had also considered using a different mounting system and springs like some of the other mounting designs but thought by the time I put the money and effort into trying to get a $70 cooling system to work when I could return it and use that additional money to buy something that did not require me to alter anything and have my system down while trying to experiment with getting something to work.

I like to fiddle with things to get them to work when most have given up on it but I also looked at it as something just aren't worth the time and effort when it could be put towards a better air or water cooling system in the end.

Last edited:
No matter how many times I've reseated this thing it is still not making good contact with the CPU.

FWIW, IJust just bought H50 not too long ago as well. I went with H50 because I couldn't keep my 1090T temp lower than 60C under stress and my room temp is right around 23-27C.

I have gone through 2 different heat-sink and cost me over $100 then $80 for H50. Guess what, my temp still high around 60C+ in just min of stress test.

I don't know what else to do, re-seat about 20 times with all the heat-sink I have including H50. I then decided to take a big step LAPPING my CPU.

Done and Done. I dropped 10C+ during stress test. Check your CPU flatness and or cold plate on the H50 or heat-sink for the flatness as well.

Here are some pic of my CPU 30 min into the LAPPING process and after I got done. My CPU wasn't flat at all and that causing me the overheat problem.

pre_lapp.jpg

Post LAPPING

post_lapp.jpg

MyBlaster, are you sure that you are using the correct screw spacers for the mounting bracket (the 4 plastic inserts that go into the mounting ring)? There are a couple of sets of those in the H50 kit and one set does LGA1366 and the ones used with a 1366 system have 2 screw holes in them. And install them into the mount ring with the clip to the inside of the ring, towards the pump unit.

Honestly, I can't tell you why you might be having issues with getting a good even mount on your board, if you are using the correct parts. I have tested and used both the H50 and H70, which uses the same mounting components and had no problems whatsoever with getting a very good mount. As for the difference in mounting pressure between the pre-applied paste and mounting it again with some aftermarket tim, that's a non factor. The mount that comes with the system applies plenty of pressure to get a good mount with other tim material.

As for the difference in mounting pressure between the pre-applied paste and mounting it again with some aftermarket tim, that's a non factor. The mount that comes with the system applies plenty of pressure to get a good mount with other tim material.

Well MD I will have to disagree with you there. I used it both on a Intel and on the AMD and had issue's with both so if I had a defective bracket then I would have had to had both brackets defective. Maybe they just made mine with the pump/block recessed to far back in on it and that was the problem who knows.

Last edited:
I've been using all the right brackets, the little clip that goes inside the retention has two holes and the piece that allows you to pull the clip out is facing towards the center of the retention. I've installed the retention with the screws on the outside of the inner clips and I've mounted the back plate and ensured that the metal pieces on the back of the mobo were flush against it. I've inserted the water block and twisted and made sure the retention notches stay inside the water block evenly.

No Luck. I'm returning it to Microcenter tomorrow and I'll have them install the new one.

BTW I've been extremely paronoid. RealTemps always tells me my CPU temps are about 10 degrees higher than my ASUS software that came with the mobo tell me. I've hit 85 degrees and higher at times before immidiately killing all stress testing programs and cutting off my computer. Never has my computer actually shut off because of the heat. However I'm still scared and paranoid about damage I could have possibly done to my entire 1200 rig.

Is there anyway I can assure myself that I haven't done any damage to my computer without removing or touching anything again on the inside?

It will be fine MB, the cpu would throttle itself back had it hit to high on the temp range to protect itself, my i7 920 went up to 95C before I shut it down and it is fine now that I have the other cooler on there and working.

I've been using all the right brackets, the little clip that goes inside the retention has two holes and the piece that allows you to pull the clip out is facing towards the center of the retention. I've installed the retention with the screws on the outside of the inner clips and I've mounted the back plate and ensured that the metal pieces on the back of the mobo were flush against it. I've inserted the water block and twisted and made sure the retention notches stay inside the water block evenly.

No Luck. I'm returning it to Microcenter tomorrow and I'll have them install the new one.

BTW I've been extremely paronoid. RealTemps always tells me my CPU temps are about 10 degrees higher than my ASUS software that came with the mobo tell me. I've hit 85 degrees and higher at times before immidiately killing all stress testing programs and cutting off my computer. Never has my computer actually shut off because of the heat. However I'm still scared and paranoid about damage I could have possibly done to my entire 1200 rig.

Is there anyway I can assure myself that I haven't done any damage to my computer without removing or touching anything again on the inside?

Mobo temp software isn't very accurate. Been like that a longgg time.

Back