• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H80 and H100 questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jebediah

Hi again guys.
Sorry if i've missed any older thread with the same question.

Since my H50 doesn't keep up with my overclock i'm looking for something new, and i guess that the best choice is H80 or H100.

I've done some reading and H100 is just slight better then the H80, so is it worth to spend some extra on H100?
I have not measure the chassi yet but i think H100 fit on the roof without problem.

That brings me to my second question. Why is everybody mount the fans as "push"? Should it not be more effective with just "pull"?
And yes i know, push and pull together is the best setup, but that is overkill for me atm :)

I have my H50 pulling cool air in from the rear of the computer. I have two exhaust fans on the top. If I was going to spend again on water cooling I would build my own loop.

You might look around the watercooling forum.

Here is a thread just started that might help.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706022

The H50 is weak and you'll do better by a teeny bit to get the H80. The H100 will for sure give you better temps. We also have H80 and H100 reviews on the front page, but you'll have to search for them, was a while back, months.

A custom watercooling kit like the XSPC RX750 with a 120x3 rad kit is what you should really think about. Good real watercooling starter kit, decent block and great res/pump starter kit. Great rad is it's main bonus and 120x3 will handle any overclock just about.

Thanks guys for fast answers. Yes i know that H50 is a "bad choice" when OC'ing :) I bought it before i decide to go into the overclocking world.
I reach temps at 85C (185F) within 5min with Prime95 with my current overclock. So i need somethin new badly :p

There's only two problems if i choose a watercooling kit. There's not much to choose between here in Sweden, and the kits that's available on the market is overpriced to the roof.
Also since i'm new when it comes to watercooling i have no idea what to buy. It would be great with a block that fits booth my current socket and the new intel socket since i'm buying a new rig when the HD7990 enter the market.

EK-KIT H3O 240 LTX is one kit available in store and cost around 250 us dollar

EDIT: Oh yea, Any explanation on why some people choose the mount the fans as push instead of pull? I cant find any reason for it since pull should be better?

H100 will give you great temps, problem is that so far is proven itself t be a relatively unreliable solution. Since the H80 uses the same pump and controller (which tends to fail) then I believe it'd [rpbably have issues also....

What case are you running? If its a decent size then I'd definitely recommend high end air instead.

High end air or a kit from EK, or buy bits n peices. Full on watercooling ain't cheap, even worse if you have to pay VAT etc. There are good companies that make stuff in the EU. In the WC forum, where you should be, is stickies up top. There is a list of places to buy. It's kinda old, but you can look. You can also ask our EU members in the WC forum for best deals etc over there.

May I suggest the Phanteks PH-TC14PE, it's a quality knock off of the Noctua NH-D14 except with a few improvements and currently better pricing too. Currently $79.99 after rebate.

first, ask yourself.

how much work you want to give yourself.
and do you feel dedicated, do you like maintainance work?
I love it myself.

If you are like me, on the LONG RUN, investing in Water Cooling ain't bad.

now, given you might not want more work.
Please go H100.

H80 is already a Push/Pull system, H100 you can expand yourself and MAKE it push/pull by buying 2 more fans, and when the H100 is also a PUSH/PULL, that system really does alright, and quite cost effective too. You can read my other thread on this same forum for comparison work.

but of course, you need space for the 240 rad for H100. :)

^^^ While that's valid, the reliability of a H100 cooler really sucks. I ended up getting burned with every closed loop cooler I've owned, they've all died.

Again, thanks for all the answers. Love it when i found a active and helpfull forum.

I dont know if i'm a such hardcore overclocker that i need "real" watercooling, but as some of you says, it might be worth it :) But yes, i spend the most of my spare time on the computer and have nothing against maintainance.
One thing is sure though, i'm not going back to aircooling again when i have had a taste of "watercooling", not atm anyway since i have a Fractal R2 chassi :D

I have to do some reading regarding the reliability of H100 and go from there.

Dude, the Fractal R2 will not fit a H100 cooler. I know as I bought a H100 expecting it to fir up the top. Problem is that the mainboard tray cutout actually comes back into the case a few CM where the fans attached to the rad need to go.

If you want a H100 then you need to buy a new case. I ended up moving my HTPC into my old Fractal R2.

Back