• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hack 9500 into 9700...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
gahdzila said:
that sounds about right. but it may not be completely true (hey, I can hope, can't I?!?!?). there may be some way to "unlock" the 256bit bus on the 9500 pro, even if this isn't it...if the 256bit bus is, in fact, even on the 9500pro, like it is on the old 9500's.

There is no 256bit bus on the 9500 Pro...the traces dont exist on the PCB, and unless u can split apart the PCB and add them, it does not, and will not have a 256bit bus.

Now, in the case with the 9500s, i was talking to Brent at HardOCP, and he says it ONLY works on the early 9500s. ATi has finished the design of PCB for the regular 9500, and it will be the most likely one u get if u buy one now. The new PCB design only has the traces for a 128bit bus, and would again be impossible to get a 256bit bus

Last edited:
Cisco Kid said:

sad sad sad :( for me 9500 Pro LOL, anyone looking to buy... might search out a 9500 once more light is shed on this topic and somoeone gets the balls up to do the mod and they show it will work, I would liketo see it done on a BBA 9500 OEM or retail

Cisco KId

GO CLEVELAND BROWNS TODAY AND EAGLES TO THE SUPERBOWL

nope, Ati is smart enough to have made their own 9500pcb, Saphire on the other hand may be your choice;)

Also remember, that the mem is still gonna suck at 9500 speeds. I think the max is 300Mhz/600DDR? The 9700 Pro is much higher... But those benchmarks show that once you overclock the core high enough, it can beat the 9700 pro card! Otherwise, this is a very interesting mod and I hope that Saphire keeps the 9700pro boards going with the 9500 non pro cards!:D

Good luck to those trying this mod... Let us know how it turns out!

Shaotai said:
Also remember, that the mem is still gonna suck at 9500 speeds. I think the max is 300Mhz/600DDR? The 9700 Pro is much higher

The 9700, 9500 Pro, and non pro 9500 all have the same 3.6ns memory...they can all easily reach 310 - 320 on the memory, which is equal or above what the 9700 Pro is

Penguin4x4 said:

Uh oh, you dun start it boy, LOL:D

FOOTBALL TODAY WAS AWESOME what a great set of games, SF won as I wanted but Cleveland Lost :(

EAGLES lets take control hehehehehe:D

cisco kid

funnyperson1 said:

nope, Ati is smart enough to have made their own 9500pcb, Saphire on the other hand may be your choice;)

ahaha I will have to see what the deals are anyone looking LOL

cisco Kid

ps truly I am very happy with my 9500 Pro performance

So I take it a Sapphire 9500 non pro 128 MB card is the way to go if you want to attempt this mod. Does anyone know what other R9500s have traces for a 256 bus? I'm thinking about selling my current card and trying this mod but only if I'm sure the card has 256 bus traces. I have moved many SMD resistors so I dont think this mod will be all that hard. As an added benefit you can put some decent thermal goop and cooling on the core once the heat spreader is removed.

What kind of thermal material is used on the R300 family of cards? Is it an epoxy, or a paste? Will I have to pry off the heatsink or is it fastened with some kind of clip?

diehlr said:
What kind of thermal material is used on the R300 family of cards? Is it an epoxy, or a paste? Will I have to pry off the heatsink or is it fastened with some kind of clip?

I have no experience taking an R300 apart; the heat spreader appears to be glued on and standard thermal goop used on the raw core. AS3 with a decent 1u copper heatsink would be awesome cooling for it.

Penguin4x4 said:
But what is faster, 9700 or 9500 Pro? They show the benchies but fail to include a 9500 Pro. (And not everyone can get 370MHz on a 9500, now can they?:D)

Thats what I want to know. Buy a 9500 and turn it into a 9700, or buy a 9500 pro and overclock.

T'wolves said:

Thats what I want to know. Buy a 9500 and turn it into a 9700, or buy a 9500 pro and overclock.

IMO, u should just go with the 9500 Pro. The 9500s wont be on the 9700 PCB for much longer...especially now that news of this is out.

..in Rage3d -forums somenone did this to 9500non-pro 128MB card. Unfortunately lost the resistor when soldering and just shorted the 1-2 bridges. Then flashed the bios... result: Card works at speed of 9700-model, but there are some visual artifacts. Propably caused by the resistor missing.. for sure there is a reason why a 6.8KOhms resistor is used. Maybe wit lead pencil (greater resistance than silver laquer) this would work :)

Another guy did this to 9500Non-Pro 64MB -card.... result: 8pipelines enabled ..still naturally the 128bit memory bus because of missing 64MB(no chips at the end of those other 128bit lines). So no his 9500Card is 9500PRO!

I will buy Sapphire 9500 128MB card and try to mod it... sadly those cost 220$ here(retail packed.. no oems in shops so far).

Evnas said:

IMO, u should just go with the 9500 Pro. The 9500s wont be on the 9700 PCB for much longer...especially now that news of this is out.

yeah but if he gets a 9500 and turns out its not 9700 pcb then he can still make it a 9500Pro;)

funnyperson1 said:

yeah but if he gets a 9500 and turns out its not 9700 pcb then he can still make it a 9500Pro;)

If hes got the right tools (pretty low heat soldering iron) and a steady hand (burn marks are so ugly on computer equipment :p), then ya :D

This is the MOST AMAZING case of modding that I have ever seen. I'm pretty new to the modding scene, but I find this absolutely fascinating. Anyways, how would I go about taking off the resistor? It looks like it's soldered on to the two connectors. Would I just rp it off, or is there some special way to remove it?

..don´t even think about ripping the resistor of. You have to use the soldering iron.. these little components are quite tricky.. so you ABSOLUTELY need to practice first soldering wit these tiny parts.

There is a confirmation of Succes from a Polish group wit this mod. Not very pretty soldering work, but hey it works! http://www.pclab.pl/?art=&sid=1572

I have a amateur 9500 128meg card on the way from googlegear. I should be able to give it a go before Friday. I will post back here with my results. Any brave current 9500 owners out there?? My money is spent, but I would like to see some more success stories before my board gets here.

Happy Modding!!!

Kid

Back