• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HAF-X: Fans Pushing Low CFM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChaosInMind

Just purchased a HAF-X (Amazing case btw). But I noticed the fans don't seem to push very much air. It's like they are set on low but I don't see any fan speed controls for the fans. Im using molex btw. Each fan got its own plug I didn't chain them. Any ideas?

If the HAF X uses the same 230mm fans that came with the HAF932 they are quite poor.

I swapped mine out and used a number of 120mm fans instead. Four on the side panel for my case. Six on my RAD in the top.

I got a 220mm Xigmatek white LED fan for the front but to be honest I think thats worse than the stock 230mm fan :(

If the HAF X uses the same 230mm fans that came with the HAF932 they are quite poor.

I swapped mine out and used a number of 120mm fans instead. Four on the side panel for my case. Six on my RAD in the top.

I got a 220mm Xigmatek white LED fan for the front but to be honest I think thats worse than the stock 230mm fan :(

The rating on these things is like 110CFM.

You can get 4 packs of Cooler Master R4 fans for about $15-20. Or try Yate Loon 120 or 140 mm Medium or High about $15-20 a pair,
I like the CM 200s for my 912 case, the R4 2,000 rpm are much better than the A- series my 912 came with.
I believe the Antec 200mm fans move the most air, but it will not fit a 912 case without taking a dremel to the fan frame or sheet metal persuasion. YMMV.

The rating on these things is like 110CFM.
As jmdixon85 said, they like to rate these fans while twisting the facts. They do their "110CFM" rating with no resistance, which you won't have in working scenarios. You will have filters, fan guards, other fan pressure (etc) that will reduce their airflow. Large thin fans don't have a lot of pressure to begin with, so any resistance is going to kill CFM. This is exactly why I only use 120mm fans on my cases. Perfect mixture of pressure and CFM for a computer case. That is why I suggest you do the same.

Woboy's suggestion of a Yate Loon is very good. They are cheap, good quality for the price and very common. You can find them as cheap as $4.60 a fan.

I don't think its that larger fans can't more more air with more force, I believe its noise that limits the larger fans.
The Antec Tricool "Big Boy" has a decent reputation for moving air, however most people reccommend using it at its lowest speed which "loses" its advantage.

Is it low CFM or your temps are poor? If your temps suck, you got a top CPU cooler with the RIGHT fans, and your temps suck, yea you got a problem.

The HAF X has great airflow overall. Reevaluate. Temps or just you expect more?

It is also true that a 200mm fan "spreads" its airflow over 4 times the area of a 120mm.
By feel there will be less "felt" air. Especially considering the diameter lost to the "hub".

I don't think its that larger fans can't more more air with more force, I believe its noise that limits the larger fans.
The Antec Tricool "Big Boy" has a decent reputation for moving air, however most people reccommend using it at its lowest speed which "loses" its advantage.
They don't have the required pressure for the size of the fan. It would be like running a 15mm thick 80mm fan. You put any resistance in front of it and it just gives up. The fan blade pitch is too aggressive and the motor is too weak.

So, you are partially correct. If they made them louder/faster, it would help solve the problem. Once they make a 75mm thick 230mm fan, I might be interested.

Well I came from an antec 300 with no rear exhaust and one hdd intake.... the temps are the same. This thing looks better and is quieter though. Last thing I planned on doing is replacing all the fans in a case that was supposed to have one of the best in airflow.

That is because the HAF-X just plain sucks when it comes to airflow. I too bought one thinking it was going to be great but to be honest, it sucks. My Antec DF-85 has much more airflow even with the fans on low. I will be replacing the intake and side fans on my HAF-x with CM's Megaflow fans. From what I've read, people have had great results with these fans. It seems like with just about any case these days the fans need to be replaced for better performance. The Antec DF-85 was the only exception I encountered so far.

Airflow and the amount of air flowING are different things? In my testing (see news profile) it kept things nice a cool and was much better than an 800D, which isnt great, but good enough.

Put two fans up top, a fan on the rear coupled with that monster side intake and front and there is plenty of flow. :shrug:

Airflow and the amount of air flowING are different things? In my testing (see news profile) it kept things nice a cool and was much better than an 800D, which isnt great, but good enough.

Put two fans up top, a fan on the rear coupled with that monster side intake and front and there is plenty of flow. :shrug:

Airflow and the amount of air flowing are two different things?? That doesn't make sense at all. That's not even an apples to apples comparison considering the 800D was designed for water cooling. Anyway, try putting 3 6950's (reference design) in a HAF-X and watch the temps sky rocket during load. The side intake isn't enough to overcome the heat produced. None of the stock fans on the HAF-X push decent air.

The gpu duct is a joke. I have an Enermax Magma 120mm attached to mine and the temps were lower without the duct. Probably because there's barely anything that comes from the front intake which is useless because it won't even make it past the hdd cage. The top exhaust, again nothing. Can't even feel anything unless my hand is directly on top of it. It's a nice case with spacious interior and a great design. It definitely has potential to move some serious air but not with the stock fans.

Airflow, as defined, seem to be the motion of air currents around an object (think direction). I didnt see it mention speed or volume of said flow/air. Maybe I misunderstood the published definitions?

Anyway, better fans will help damn near any case. While it may not move the most air, it has done a good job in my limited testing with a single card and subsequently with an SLI setup (260 216's). As far as the 800D, being made for water, sure, but how do you think radiators get cooled...by air moving through the radiator. Being 'made for water' simply means to me that there is predrilled holes/space for radiators. Its going to get cooled the same exact way...by air.

You put 3 6950's in any case and the temps will skyrocket...especially with the stock cooler and if they are immediately next to each other with that whopping 1/8" space between the cards.

Last edited:
Airflow and CFM are different.

3 6950 in Xfire with close spacing are going to get hot in ANY case.

The Haf X is one of the better air cooled cases. 'Some people' expect that to mean miracles, magic, impossible things to happen in a world ruled by pysics. For the average user it's plenty, and plenty quiet. 3 6950's. LOL. Not average.

You slap a CPU and 3 GPUs overvolted/clocked, 6 velociraptor hard drives in a case and not to update the case fans? Of course you do. You modify, overcome.

Gaaaaa.....

I wasn't expecting a miracle but I was expecting it to push more air than it does. The HAF-X does not live up to its name (High Air Flow) with stock fans. If this is one of the better air cooled cases, I'd hate to see worse. CM could have used the Megaflow fans and implemented a speed switch but they didn't. It's frustrating because you pay $190+ for a case that can't even do a proper job of cooling, so then $90 more must be spent to replace all the stock fans and an extra $30 to add the optional fan up top. The title of this thread is absolutely correct. The stock fans in the HAF-X push low cfm.

Yep, and it's fine till you push limits. Like anything. I have a friend with an AMD 965 and a GTX 570. Couple HD. Aftermarket cooler on the CPU. His system rocks. Temps are great.

They push lower CFM quietly. Lots of open flow in that case. Some need more, you replace fans because you have more. You fixed it. I guess watercooling is your next thing.

Are you really running 3 6950's and complaining about heat?

Back