• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HAF-X: Fans Pushing Low CFM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Actually, I'm running 4 of them. I thought it wouldn't be too bad since I have the reference design ones that exhaust through the back but I guess they do run a bit warm to begin with. I was originally going to go with 570's since I've been with nvidia since the days of the Radeon x800xt. Now that was one ridiculously loud card. But I wanted to go with ati this time around and besides I got them cheaper. Ati has certainly improved since those days though. In the meantime, I will be looking to replace the reference 6950's with some that are non reference dual fan design. The Sapphire Dirt 3 Edition looks like it runs fairly cool and quiet.

Actually, I'm running 4 of them. I thought it wouldn't be too bad since I have the reference design ones that exhaust through the back but I guess they do run a bit warm to begin with. I was originally going to go with 570's since I've been with nvidia since the days of the Radeon x800xt. Now that was one ridiculously loud card. But I wanted to go with ati this time around and besides I got them cheaper. Ati has certainly improved since those days though. In the meantime, I will be looking to replace the reference 6950's with some that are non reference dual fan design. The Sapphire Dirt 3 Edition looks like it runs fairly cool and quiet.

Watercooling.................

You should probably end up getting a full tower, just my two cents. I'm not sure if this has been covered already or not.

The HAF-X is a full tower :confused:

Watercooling.................

The blocks put me over budget and besides, I don't want to deal with the hassle of water cooling this time around. Also, I'm just trying different cases to see which cools the best. So far it's the Antec DF-85. Silverstone RV02 is next.

Quote:Originally Posted by computerparts View Post
That is because the HAF-X just plain sucks when it comes to airflow.

I think we are the only two on this website that believe this. <3

You are wrong, I'm #3 :rolleyes:

I wasn't expecting a miracle but I was expecting it to push more air than it does. The HAF-X does not live up to its name (High Air Flow) with stock fans. If this is one of the better air cooled cases, I'd hate to see worse. CM could have used the Megaflow fans and implemented a speed switch but they didn't. It's frustrating because you pay $190+ for a case that can't even do a proper job of cooling, so then $90 more must be spent to replace all the stock fans and an extra $30 to add the optional fan up top. The title of this thread is absolutely correct. The stock fans in the HAF-X push low cfm.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Oh BTW. It's cool that I made someone sign up to these forums because of my post. I should get brownie points.

This is really a great looking case, with great cable management, and really cool features, with plenty of room.... But the airflow is less than desired. I really don't want to but new fans :(

Can anyone recommend new fans for the front, side, and top? The megaflows the other guy talks about have the same CFM rating as the stock fans.

You are wrong, I'm #3 :rolleyes:

You took the words right out of my mouth. Oh BTW. It's cool that I made someone sign up to these forums because of my post. I should get brownie points.

This is really a great looking case, with great cable management, and really cool features, with plenty of room.... But the airflow is less than desired. I really don't want to but new fans :(

Can anyone recommend new fans for the front, side, and top? The megaflows the other guy talks about have the same CFM rating as the stock fans.

Are you sure they have the same rating? I didn't check to see and compare the model numbers. I looked around though and found some info on the CM forums where someone said the stock fans in the HAF-X actually are the Megaflow. But I unmounted the top fan to do a test and there's no way it pushes near 100 cfm even with no back pressure. If these really are the Megaflow fans then I wouldn't know what to think because all the 200-230mm fans I looked at are rated from 105-120cfm. Also I have a Scythe Slipstream 120mm that is rated around 110 cfm at full speed and it too pushes way more air than those fans in the HAF-X.

Edit: After looking some more I found CM makes a 200mm fan called Storm Force that is rated at 140cfm. Might have to try those.

Last edited:
i looked up the replacement on their website for the top mounted fan. Its rated 110cfm.
Just because it is rated for that doesn't mean you will see anywhere near it in real world scenarios. I remember when the huge fan for the Thermaltake Armor came out. I got one and the pressure of the other fans in the case actually pushed air out the big one. It was a joke. Even with the grill off and with as little resistance as it was going to get, I would be surprised if it pushed more than 20 cfm.

Businesses lie. That includes twisting numbers to make it seem better.

You can mount 4 120mm fans on the side panel instead of a giant 230mm. Just get 4 cheap Yate Loons and be done with it.

I've had the HAF-X for a year and have noticed the same thing. I think it is more an issue of pressure/resistance (like someone mentioned earlier) for large diameter fans, and not just the ones that CM put in this case. I believe the impeller designs are flawed. Still a fantastic case, in my opinion.

I got a few new fans (smaller diameter) that I'm going to install in the near future. Just curious, how can you put 4 fans in the side? I know the 932 had 4 fans mounts on the side panel, but the X just has 1 for a 200mm. Any links for a good mod?

For what it's worth, here are the manufacturer spec's I got for the stock fans a while ago:
front:230x30mm, 700 rpm/110 cfm/18 dba
side:200x30mm, 700 rpm/110 cfm/18 dba
top:200x30mm, 700 rpm/110 cfm/18 dba
rear:140x25mm, 1200rpm/49 cfm/18 dba

Currently, I have the stock "side" fan in the second mount in the top of the case and put a 200x30mm, 900 rpm/150 cfm/? dba in the side panel. I'd take any of those CFM ratings with a grain of salt.

I just picked up the HAF932. I wanted a case w/ good airflow (or atleast options) and USB3.0 on the front. I was torn between this case or the Corsair 600T but the corsair just had such limited cooling options without cutting into the case (and Im sorry, for the price I shouldnt have to cut holes for cooling fans, I can do that with a $50 case).

Granted, the fans dont push alot of air however Ive found they do their job. I loaded up the CPU to 80c constant with the side panel on and let it sit. I then tried w/ the side panel removed. There was no drop in temperature so that would indicate that the air flow in the case is acceptable IMO.

Case is fairly quiet overall w/ the stock fans so I dont think Im going to throw a bunch of 120mm in there (I did install one pulling air from the bottom of the case up to the video card). I cant see changing out the fans if opening the case doesnt help temperatures.

I'd do 120mm fans, but that is just me. Any fan bigger than 140mm, I shun.

Not sure if the HAFX will allow multiple 120mm fans in the front. My HAF 932 doesnt.

Yate loon mediums are great. Especially with a fan controller.
The Antec 200mm arent bad, 3 speed is nice for noise control.

The side panel on the HAF-X will not allow 120mm fans. However, there is a version of the 932 panel that does. You can order it from Cooler Master and it is a direct fit on the HAF-X case.

The side panel on the HAF-X will not allow 120mm fans. However, there is a version of the 932 panel that does. You can order it from Cooler Master and it is a direct fit on the HAF-X case.

You can take off the 200mm fan and mount 4x120mm fans on the stock HAF-X panel.

Back