• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Half FPS in all games with default bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BenchAndGames

Registered
I have a very strange problem and I do not understand what is the reason or explanation.

In summary, I have half the performance in the games, (FPS) with the bios by default, with simply instead of leaving for example the RAM memory in auto, just changing it to1600 MHz or more, I already have twice the FPS in all the games, just with this simple change from auto to manually. Its not because CPU integrated graphic, cuz I tested with and without.

So whats the point on having like 87 FPS avg in FarCry New Dawn Benchmark with 1600 MHz RAM and 46 FPS avg with all bios on default ? Like this is happaning in all my games, the performance is half with default bios.
What is happaning there by just changing RAM to manually ?

I have i7 4770k
Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5, Z87
RTX 2060
16GB RAM

EDIT: Well looks like the uncore was the problem. I tested with everything on auto and only change uncore to 35, and I got the right results. With all on auto and uncore auto, its stay at 800 MHz, dont understand why, but here its where
begging the issues with the low FPS.

Last edited:
RAM from 1600 to 2400 shouldn't have that much an effect... that is odd.

Is it dual channel in both configs?
Are you using xmp profile to set ram?

No you didnt understand me, I have already twice FPS with 1600 MHz setup "manually", than just let the RAM in "auto" wich its still 1600 MHz. Thats why I said is a strange issue. Ofc I guess its dual channel with bios on default, and no, im not suing XMP, thats not the point, I was just saying that usually I run 2400 MHz but this is not the point here, forget about this :)

OK........

RAM setting 1600 manually to 1600 default shouldn't matter at much at all. YOu can easily go through the BIOS and take screenshots of all the timings and see what may be different. Perhaps that helps.

But yeah, that is odd...RAM speeds, even from JEDEC/defaults to 2400 MHz doesn't make but a couple percent difference at max. I would have no idea why the same speed set manually versus auto displays that much difference. Something else must be going on.

Everything its running to same valors with default and manually.
CPU 3891 MHz cuz of turbo on both auto and manual
RAM 1600 MHz on both auto and manual
the GPU same clocks, I checked all and its all the same

The only think what is different are some voltages as I can see, the CPU voltage its on auto always, but its going higher when I put the RAM on manually, but how voltage can affect this so drastically, to make my PC have twice performance ? And jsut to remember that even is the cpu voltage is going higher the clocks are the same.

I don't think we have enough information to help you unless you are lucky enough to run across someone who has had the exact same issue. As EarthDog said, maybe post screenshots of the bios. I know you're saying it's all the same, but I just don't see how that is possible. I don't think its RAM at all. Maybe PCI e lanes or something odd. Maybe need to flash bios.

Also if I set the CPU ratio to 35 (thats the default one for 4770k) manually, and I can let the RAM on auto, its seems to do the exact same think, double my performance. Actually its not like its give me more performance, its just give me the right performance my hardware has, its just with bios on default looks like I have around of 50-60% ingame performances.

Please do this:
1. Download and install a free program called CPU-z
2. Capture images of these three CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD with the RAM set to Auto in bios.
3. Repeat #2 above with the RAM set to manual frequency in bios

Snipping Tool, an image capture tool built into Windows is great for capturing images on the screen. You can use it to crop the image to remove unneeded desktop real estate. So capture the images and attach them to your posts using the Go Advanced button in the lower left corner of any new post window.

Do you have an XMP memory setting in bios?

I know what OC is, I had in the past overclocked bunch of i7´s old generations like 2600k, 3770k, also this current 4770k , so just trust me, I know what im talking about when im saying everything is same values with bios auto or manual.

The only thing im asking here is what actually im asking for "why I have half FPS in some games with the bios on auto" you guys maybe have some technically reason of this statemnet.

And were saying that doesnt make sense with the information we have and asking for more info help you get to the bottom of it. Hence the ask for cpuz screenshots, etc.

Is you motherboard flashed to the latest bios? If not do so..if so... flash it again.
Have you set optimized defaults and see if that makes a difference?

But if you were doing this in the past, wuldnt you be using this program already? Not trying to dig at you, but that is the first software you get your hands on before overclocking:shrug:

And were saying that doesnt make sense with the information we have and asking for more info help you get to the bottom of it. Hence the ask for cpuz screenshots, etc.

Is you motherboard flashed to the latest bios? If not do so..if so... flash it again.
Have you set optimized defaults and see if that makes a difference?

Yes and I apreciate that you guys want to help me, the only what Im saying there is no need to screenshoots because everything is the same with auto and manual, just as I said before the CPU volt its going higher when I set RAM or CPU Ratio in manual. I think maybe there are some other stuff wich I cant see under gaming load will be going higher with seting those in manual than let bios on default, maybe from here its the reason why I got FPS improve. Cuz watching the HWMonitor for all the volts I can see that only the CPU volt its going higher, maybe other stuff wich we dont see in softwares. Its very strange what its happaning, thats the reason im coming here for asking.

But if you were doing this in the past, wuldnt you be using this program already? Not trying to dig at you, but that is the first software you get your hands on before overclocking:shrug:

I think you didnt get the porpose of my last answare, I apreciate he wants to help me, but his answare was like: "I supposed you dont know what cpuz is, so there it go"

PD: Like I said above, values in bios, cpuz and hwmonitor are the same, just voltage of cpu will going higher with set RAM to manually. Thats the only thing what I can see its different

Yes it has the latest bios F10 for my motherboard, but what I can see now after repeat the process, I didnt see actually some frequency are different.

All bios auto:
Turbo Boost is rise 37
Uncore is stay only at 800 MHz
Cpu voltage rise 1.200

All bios auto except RAM set manualy to 1600:
Turbo Boost is rise 39
Uncore at 3500 MHz
Cpu voltage rise 1.250 Mhz

The uncore difference is massive. Not sure why that is holding at 800 Mhz... are you SURE it is? As in, when there is a load, does it ramp up to 3500? If that is the case, manually set it to 3.5 GHz. :)

4770K's boost should go to 3.9 GHz (but that isn't a cause of half the FPS).

WHY it is happening, I don't know (and why I suggested a BIOS flash regardless if you are on the latest)

PS - If you would have provided those CPUz screenshots, we would have noticed that out of the gate... we don't ask questions for giggles. :)

Idle and load under gamaplay and Prime95, so yeah I dont know why exactly its stay at 800 MHz and if I just change RAM its rise to 3500 wich actually its the right setting to be on default.
Also dont get why on auto turbo its stay at 37 only and when i change RAM its going to his normally status at 39.

This is not new issue for me, I got this system from the beggining of relased haswell, from 2013-2014 so I just pass , but now Im trying again to find the reason. In all this time I flashed and reflashed the bios, tested older bioses, but it does the same.

The only think what I have on my mind is somethign related to my motherboard, I mean its a high-end motherboard, I bought it for like 530 euros when relased, its not a normal motherboard, ,maybe it has some extra future on it. Its Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 link: http://es.gigabyte.com/products/page/mb/g1sniper_5rev_10#kf

I dont know this misterious ... thanks again for all the help provided

EDIT: Well looks like the uncore was the problem. I tested with everything on auto and only change uncore to 35, and I got the right results. With all on auto and uncore auto, its stay at 800 MHz, dont understand why, but here its where
begging the issues with the low FPS.

Last edited:
Well... sorry we didnt find out the why.... but at least we know what is doing it and there is an easy workaround. :)

Must of been a bug in the bios that was never corrected by the board manufacturer.

Well just had a issue right now , can produce a CPU overclock failures with my graphics card ?

I'm trying to find stability for a slight overclock to my processor, and today just after starting the computer I opened google chrome, and I had a system freeze, for about 10 seconds, and then the screen went black and the screen appeared again with the system running.

ID EVENT 14 - The description of event 14 is not found on the origin nvlddmkm
and after few seconds 2x ID EVENT 4101 - nvlddmkm stopped working and has recovered

So it can be related to the CPU overclock, cuz im testing it so im not sure its 100% stable, or it can be related to the graphic card ? Before CPU didnt happaned, but this graphic its new, I has 1 week, so I dont know what can be

Back