• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard Drive Not Formatted??? HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TeuffelHunden

Hi all,

I'm running winXP with 2 hard drives: C and D.

C is the OS hard drive (NTFS) and D is an extra storage hard drive (Fat32). I've had this setup for quite a while. Then yesterday, out of the blue, when I try to access the D drive I get a message saying that D is not formatted! The drive is recognized in the bios correctly as a 120 gig drive, and a data recovery program that I have (GetDataBack) recognizes it as a FAT32 drive. But windows says size=0 free space=0. I REALLY do not want to reformatt, since EVERYTHING I need is on that drive. Is there a way to fix it without reformatting??

By the way, the last thing I did before the problem was to change the dpi in the display settings...not sure how it could be related, if at all.

ran the diagnostic (don't know why I didn't think of that first) and it failed the SMART test. I was able to save a lot of the data using a dos based program called xxcopy and copying files in dos mode to a different hard drive. I still ended up with a bit of data loss, but it could have been much worse.

The drives is just over a year old, and Maxtor only warranties for a year, so I'm SOL...so I used it as an excuse to buy a new 120GB Seagate (5 year waranty!)

Back