• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Harddrives the problem!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Riggz

I think I found the problem to my temperature problems.

Using MBM 5 I monitored one of my harddrives (Maxtor 80g 7200rpm) and Im getting 44C-45C.

Which I think explains my case temps of 47C and cpu temp of 52C

I dont have any case fans but would case fans help drop these temps a fair amount?

I dont have any more power outlets from my PSU for more fans...so how can i hook up some more??

TIA

you dont have ANY case fans at all?? no intake or exhaust other than the psu???

if not then that is the problem, you need to have air circulate. does your case have places for fans? if it does, then get some and that should help you out.

you can use a splitter to add more fans, but if your psu is out of plugs, then you might want a better psu too.

how many drives do you have hooked up?
what powersupply do you have?

Your hard drives put out 10 watts apiece max (compared to CPU at 80-100 watts) so they aren't heating up your case much.

If you would like to cool them -- they only need a little air -- what I did was I bought a PCI slot blower rated at 10CFM, undervolted it, and stuck it in their enclosure.

This won't help your case temps + or -, but it will make your hard drives happier.

Case cooling is mainly a matter of creating some openings. Most cases have terrible intake. Clip your fan grills and make sure intake fans can breathe room air freely - in whatever way you can.

the wesson

PS and oh yes you do need some case fans in the first place.

one 80 mm exhaust and one 80 mm intake (both breathing freely) is what I would consider minimal ...

the wesson

Back