• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Haswell cert PSU - need I worry?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HankB

In another site/thread (involving Linux compatibility) I saw a mention of Haswell certification for PSUs. Searching here I found a link to this thread: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10190 which seems to discount this issue. However the thread dates to when Haswell was preliminary and BIOSses were beta.

As I'm preparing to upgrade to a Haswell based setup and reusing my present PSU I thought it wise to ask if there is likely to be any issue.

The PSU is: http://www.pcpower.com/power-supply/silencer-610-eps12v.html (I believe this dates to the 'good old days' for PC Power & Cooling but that may not mean much to a more modern setup. I bought it about 7 years ago.)

The setup I plan to upgrade to is an I7-4770K and ASRock Z87 Extreme4 mobo. I'll also be reusing my GTX-460 GPU.

Thanks!

Last edited:
No worries, it only has to do with the deepest sleep state of the processor.
If the PSU doesn't support that it just doesn't go to that state.

PSU will likely do just fine. (EDIT: From the pictures I can find in reviews and the crossload results in reviews, it appears that it;s an independently regulated PSU, which gives it an excellent chance of working perfectly with power state C7)

Like Atmin said, if it doesn't like it go into BIOS and disable power state C7. That's the super deep sleep.

Last edited:
Any good PSU nowadays would do just fine with no load. Additionally, as long as your machine has a few fans, at least one HDD, and/or a discrete GPU, there would still be a load on the 12V.

Any good PSU nowadays would do just fine with no load. Additionally, as long as your machine has a few fans, at least one HDD, and/or a discrete GPU, there would still be a load on the 12V.

Except that a deep sleep state would cut off all of those components... :confused:

I think C7 leaves the HDDs running. It's my impression that it's like super ultra amazing EIST.
I could be completely wrong on that, though. I'm skipping Haswell so it hasn't been relevant to me.

Except that a deep sleep state would cut off all of those components... :confused:
If the fans are powered direct off the PSU, the only way to turn those off is to turn off the PSU, at which point there's no longer a valid concern.

The suspend levels are moot for my use. Either it is up and running or I shut it down. With ~15 second boot time after POST I see little need to suspend.

And at normal operating conditions it seems to be working fine. It's drawing 270 watts at the wall (not including monitors) while folding and about 145 when idle. I guess a 610 watt PSU is a little overkill. ;)

The suspend levels are moot for my use. Either it is up and running or I shut it down. With ~15 second boot time after POST I see little need to suspend.

And at normal operating conditions it seems to be working fine. It's drawing 270 watts at the wall (not including monitors) while folding and about 145 when idle. I guess a 610 watt PSU is a little overkill. ;)

Heh, a 350W PSU would be overkill for that :p

What about holding the state of all applications? It's very easy to get the boot times into the 10 second range with a SSD, but it takes a bit longer than that to reopen the applications. Maybe not an issue for your use but still something to keep in mind.

What about holding the state of all applications? ...
There is that, I suppose. The other side of that coin is that I'd have to be pretty confident that the system was going to resume reliably. I tried suspending a couple times with the previous system and it would never resume so I never thought about saving application state.

Back