• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a PSU Issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmag1k

Registered
Ok, so I overclocked my i5 4690 to 4.5 GHz at 1.375 on a Hyper 212+. I found that voltage to be high given that my temps are relatively low (never going above 80-85). I started getting BSOD when I installed a second 780 GTX Classified (both are 03G-P4-3788-KR).

I was getting BSOD every other day with a two different thread exception messages. One is the SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (Wdf01000.sys) and the other is the (nvlddmkm.sys).

I have a x5 SSD and x2 HDD along with 4x4 GB or ram, a PCI-E Sound card and of course my Case. I didn't want to push my voltage any higher on my proc as it seems I'm near ceiling. I went down as far as 4.0 GHz and was still crashing. It wasn't until I went back to factory settings (3.5 Ghz at factory voltage) that the blue screens stopped. If you take a look at my signature, you can see all my hardware. I just bought the EVGA 850W 80 Plus Gold PSU brand new a couple months ago. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438018

Is my power supply too low? Or do I need to up my voltage? Or is this actually a driver issue w/ Nvidia that's somehow now interfering w/ my SLI setup? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I would imagine it NOT to be a PSU issue (unless the PSU was bad). That CPU won't pull more than 125W really. And the two GPUs are 250W each. SSD's are nothing, so are HDD and most fans, mobo etc. So say 100W there (likely around that). Add that up and you are sitting at 750W.

I would try using DDU and updating the drivers, or rolling back a version.

Nice Banksy profile pic =)

Ok, I'll try that. Any wonder why I'd stop crashing when going back to default settings on my i5 4690K? Would the drivers react somehow to my CPU running at different clock speeds?

I would imagine it NOT to be a PSU issue (unless the PSU was bad). That CPU won't pull more than 125W really. And the two GPUs are 250W each. SSD's are nothing, so are HDD and most fans, mobo etc. So say 100W there (likely around that). Add that up and you are sitting at 750W.

I would try using DDU and updating the drivers, or rolling back a version.

Well, it was until I installed the 2nd 780. Even then I'd think going down to 4.0 at 1.375 is more than enough voltage to make it stable. And my temps always seemed fine at that voltage.

Stability isn't only related to voltage, you know. Maybe the added stress on the PCIe lanes caused the instability. Any time you change your hardware, you should do so at stock settings, and then redo your overclock, because there's a billion variables that can change.

Last edited:
I went back to stock settings and not a single crash. I'll start the overclock again and see how far I can go before I become unstable. Then maybe I"ll remove the PCI-E sound card and see if that free's up the lanes.

Back