• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need case and modular psu to fit 8 3.5in hdds and a haswell i7 atx motherboard.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mas5acre

I'm very frustrated right now. I was using a Silverstone GD-08. I made the stupid mistake of choosing that case. Its hard to do anything n there. The mobo sata ports interfere with the intake fans, I made it work though and even had a Radeon R9 290x in there too with 6 hdds, an optical drive and an ssd. I ran it like that with my 4770k undervolted since I bought it.

Well I decided instead of having one crazy computer, I'd build two. I now have an amazing skylake based gaming build, which will be even better once I upgrade to a non reference gtx 1080 when available.

My problem is with my haswell build, I was trying to go as cheap as possible. I bought a Zalman Z1 to fill with four hdds, and an ssd. The thing uses sled looking drive caddies that are incompatible with my Seagate 8tb achive drives (They don't have a middle screw hole.) In this build I'm using my old Enermax Revolutions 1050w psu. I know its overkill. I just had it from my i7 920 build. The thing is only semi-modular and the cables are thick as ****. I really hate this psu with a passion. I've broken a couple ssds by trying to tie down the cables and snapped the connectors! The cables do not like to bend at all. I did make the 8tb drive work but I'm really not liking this build. If I do it again, I'd like to use all my drives or maybe just seperate the computer from the drives and have an external drive enclosure. I do a lot of video encoding and thinking about posting stuff to youtube.

I need a case and modular psu to fit 8 3.5in hdds and a haswell i7 atx motherboard.I don't run raid at all. Instead I just make two backups of everything I care about on different drives. I'm sick of wasting money. Can anyone suggest some inexpensive solutions but really no budget, I have quite a bit of money saved up.

Last edited:
I am a fan of the cube style cases so figured I would mention the Thermaltak core X9. Only supports 6- 3.5" drives out of the box but you can get another 3.5" cage for it and it will then fit 9 - 3.5" drives internally.

I agree with Blaylock on the EVGA g2 series psu.

Back