• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hauppauge HVR-2250 Incompatible hardware?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joe88

So I recently acquired a new-ish pc and was going to replace my HTPC since it was getting a bit behind, my old one worked fine with the 2250 and windows 7 pro 32bit (in sig). I installed win 10 pro 64bit on the new machine (inspiron 3647) and the hvr2250 doesnt even show up, tried pretty much everything but since it doesnt even show up in the device manager (not even an unknown device) I cant install the drivers or force any drivers to install. I don't even care about the TV tuner part as I was just using it for the remote w/ kodi for a long time but I can't even use that as it requires drivers. I can turn on the machine from S5 state with the remote but thats all I can do.

I installed all win10 updates up to 1809 and all other updates and still nothing, switched the pcie slot of it was and still the same, it just doesn't show up. I tried all the drivers and new software from the mfg's site but it always just says cannot detect compatible hardware and aborts installation. I grabbed another drive and installed the 32bit version up 1809 and still the same thing.

At this point I assume the hardware is just incompatible with this PC for some reason (the tuner is from around 2008).

I was looking at something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VH02IZ...olid=3D18YJS36XLTW&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
I just don't know if the remote I have will work with it, the remote is just an IR remote and says RC6 on the back of it, it can even turn on my 360 slim with the remote power button. I just need the remote to turn on the system from S5 and when it boots into kodi be able to use the remote in it, that's it.

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_hvr2250.html
First question indicates that it's not compatible with Win10. You could try installing an older version of Win on the new box, or look into installing the driver in compatibility / legacy mode.

Looks like the receiver you linked requires line of sight. I don't have any direct experience with setting one up, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

My Hauppauge card required their full software suite be installed for the card to be seen and function, even though I don't use it (Media Center works way better). I have emailed Hauppauge for support in the past and always gotten good results.

I don't know if it is relevant or not, but behold.

I use old creative sound card and their win10 software doesn't work in win10. What I did is installed everything under winVista(dual boot) and opened the software while inside win10. I basically opened vista partition while booted in win10, started the software and was able to adjust everything and it all works!

Seems it's not win10, I loaded win7 on it and still the same issue, I even swapped to my old machine and installed win10 and it detected it fine.
It's just this newer machine does not detect it for some odd reason, (the wake from sleep works) I have 2 of these newer machines and switched to the other one to see if maybe the slots were bad and the same thing.

That adapter above comes with an external kit so I can run ir sensors out the back of the case. Now can I use my RC6 MCE remote with it? Is RC6 a standard where all RC6 ir devices can control anything with an RC6 sensor, or do you need to program them, afaik this is not a programmable remote. The programability was handled by an ir blaster sensor that came off the card that can control cable boxes ect.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Ok I purchased the internal ir receiver that I linked in the op, now installed it and the remote I have works in kodi and the pc turns on with it, so that problem is solved but some issues came up.

Issue 1:
The motherboard power switch/led/hdd led adapter is one piece, now this is no problem as the cables it came with simple go inbetween, I had to sacrifice the HDD led (not a big deal), but the issue at hand is that 2 of the pins were being jumped, and I cant jump them without plugging into the whole adapter. Without this jumper the PC will not post.

2efkg40.jpg

I could try and make my own with some breadboard wires but to be curious do they make simple extenders for front panel headers or whatever?

Issue 2:
This board has 2x front USB 2.0 headers
one of the headers go to 2 front USB ports, and the other goes to an SD card reader, now obviously I removed the SD reader and plugged this adapter in, and the ir receiver would not detect at all.
So I removed the front usb ports and plug in the adapter and it works fine, I plug the front USB port header into the first one I tried and it doesnt work, the ports are reviving power but its simply not working/being detected by the OS, very odd.
So in short I had to sacrifice my front USB ports for this adapter. I would have to get something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079CB2HN...olid=3D18YJS36XLTW&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I'm confused. Yes dell's have proprietary front panel IO. Are you trying to use the dell board in a different case? Which case?

Does the SD reader work when plugged into the port? You never know it could be a proprietary pinout using a standardized connector that appears to be USB. Why would they do that? No idea. Either that or the USB header is toast.

The sd reader works fine when plugged into that port, it's probably some proprietary bs as you said, even though it looks exactly like the same port, is keyed in the same exact way and the 5v pins are in the same place.
It does seem only one of the ports is working, so half the header on the board might not even be wired since the card reader only used half the connector, one port working is better than no ports.

The front panel header, I made a jumper out of an old floppy pin connector, basically the ir device sits inbetween the header on the mobo and the header connectors to allow pass through so the front panel can still function, but dell uses a full sized connector with all the wires attached to it, so I lose the HHD activity light (again not a big deal) this is all in the original stock case and mobo.

DSC03412.JPG

I guess all I need to do now is figure where im gonna mount the ir board (or just wrap it in electrical tape and just throw it in the corner)
This probably works

DSC03413.JPG

Last edited:
Back