• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have I hit the Max OC on My e6400?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stilletto

Ok, here's the deal. I have a e6400 (b2 stepping). I have Crucial ddr2 6400 (2x1GB). See Sig for rest.....

I am not unhappy with my 24/7 stable speeds, but I do believe that I have hit the absolute maximum overclock with this cpu. I used to have a P5W DH and I could not boot the machine above 370FSB. I recently got a P5K Deluxe and was able to get much higher, but I have again hit a wall.....at 477FSB I am good. If I raise it to 478, it will not boot. I can also select a lower multiplier and it will not boot. If I overclock with Asus Utility within windows from 477 to 478fsb, it freezes.

Things I have tried:

CPU Voltage 1.6v+
Memory Timings....all the way to the loosest choices available.
Chipset Voltages(North and South)...maxed out.
CPU Voltage dampener on (this is a good feature that almost eliminates VDroop)
Locked PCi freq to 100
All CPU features disabled except TM (tried this as well)
Alot more that I can't remember right now.....

Now when I ordered this board I ordered 2, one for me and one for a buddy.
He has the same cpu (e6400) but crappy 667 memory. He hit a wall with the memory so I put in mine. He can boot at 500+fsb, although not stable enough for a SuperPi run, but he can get a CPU-Z Screenshot. That eliminates the memory I would think....
If anyone can make any sense out of this situation, I would greatly appreciate it:bday:

What timmings are you running ?
try 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v
And make sure ram is in the black slots

||Console|| said:
What timmings are you running ?
try 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v
And make sure ram is in the black slots

I switched the slots (always run my memory at 4-4-4-12) and gained
exactly 1 mhz:p

why the black slots...are they more stable....im using an asus p5n32 se....should i change to the black slots???

I dont know about your board Sam , but Asus as told p5k users that the black slots clock higher

||Console|| said:
I dont know about your board Sam , but Asus as told p5k users that the black slots clock higher
I tried them and they dont seem to make any difference...thanks anyway.

Vio1 said:
sounds like if you want more out of this chip, get some better cooling.... phase changing perhaps?

I believe you are right....bum chip compared to others I have seen.
I so not understand that lowering the multiplier to 6 doesn't help though....:confused:

Stilletto said:
I believe you are right....bum chip compared to others I have seen.
I so not understand that lowering the multiplier to 6 doesn't help though....:confused:

How would lowering the multiplier help you increase processor speed?

Hazaro said:
To test the FSB wall.
What can you get on the 7 multi?

That's the strange part.....The wall exists on every multiplier. I cannot raise it 1 more mhz at any Multiplier:confused:
478 is fine....I can even get it stable. 479 and at any multiplier it will not boot. I have NEVER seen anything like this before!:cry:

Like Hazaro mentioned, you've hit your FSB wall. Can you increase the voltage of your northbridge? (I think this will help, correct me if I'm wrong)

Roisen said:
Like Hazaro mentioned, you've hit your FSB wall. Can you increase the voltage of your northbridge? (I think this will help, correct me if I'm wrong)

Done that. Increased everything to max in frustration.
It is either the CPU or the Motherboard that is not
cooperating.....:temper:

Back