• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

have i OCd my i5 8600k correctly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hurricano

Registered
Hello there, over the weekend i got a water cooler and got really excited and went straight into over clocking without running some tests prior to it and now i am unsure if i have done everything correctly. I am using a asus 370-p MB, 16 gb DDR 4 ram, gtx 1070, and of course the 8600k.

What i have done in the bios-
AI overclock tuner - XMP
negative offset - 3
sync all cores
core ratio limit - 50
cpu load line caliberation - level 3
cpu capability - 140%
core catche voltage - 1.290
and thats it.

I downloaded CPUID monitor and i have been watching how the CPU is behaving now, i am an idiot and haven't really inspected it before over clocking so i am unsure if everything is acting how its suppose to be.
Idle temperatures are pretty much 32-35c on all cores and while i game it goes up to around 55c per core, highest was 62c. Weird thing that i noticed that the MHz are jumping like crazy, going from 800 mhz to 2000, or first few are 800 then last one is 2000. Its jumping all over the place. While i game it stays 4700 mhz, sometimes goes up to 5004 mhz.

Can someone guide me please, thank you.

"Negative offset - 3"

Are you referring to the AVX offset? With an AVX offset you will be actually running the CPU at a lower frequency when running apps that use AVX instructions.

Have you done any dedicated stress testing like with Prime95, Realbench, OCCT, AID64 Extreme, etc.? Run one of those for 2-3 hours. AIDA64 overnight. Watch temps.

Yes AVX onset, i copied a guide i found online. To be honest i dont use photoshop, i only use my PC for gaming or watching videos. Do you think i should change it? No i haven't ran any tests, il do it for a couple of hours in the morning.

Change what?

Can you please give more detail about your hardware? All we know is that you have an 8600k and some kind of water cooling.

Frequency of the CPU jumping around is normal when using some stock power management settings. It down-throttles when idling.

Hi sorry for the late reply, when i was talking about the change i meant AVX onset. I Looked up aida64 but seen that you have to pay like 100$ for it so i didn't download it but i got prime95 and ran it for a couple of hours. I received one error, FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4999385498, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file. Any idea what that means and how to fix it?

You can use AIDA64 Extreme for 30 days on a trial basis without cost.

Using an AVX offset of 3x is more than most people use. 1x to 2x is a common value. If you need to use 3x to pass an AVX stress test then it would raise the question in my mind if you were truly stable in non AVX stress tests.

Failing Prime95 typically means your core voltage is inadequate for the level of overclock. So you should try increasing the core voltage a bit. What are your max temps running when you stress with Prime95?

Depends what test you were running in p95. Was it small fft, blend, or large. Small = cpu, blend = memory, large = ????.

Ok il look into getting the AIDA trial sometime during the weekend. Max temp of the CPU was like 74c for a split second. I did Blend test with 6 torture tests.

I ran Aida64 for 12 hrs over night and everything seems ok, should i just leave everything as it is?

You've said it yourself: during gaming, you end up with 4700 mhz.

Here's my advice: lose the AVX offset altogether and redo your OC, getting as low a voltage as possible for 4700 all core.

End result: cooler CPU, no more weird and useless clock jumping to 5 Ghz, same performance. If that doesn't matter to you... game on :)

Back