• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having issues installing my RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deRav

Hi,

Could I please get some help. I'm trying to install my TeamGroup Elite 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Dual Channel, but the computer wont go any further that the initialization screen and keeps rebooting.

My specs are as follow:
Intel® Core™ i3-550 Processor (4M Cache, 3.20 GHz)
Assus P7H55-m le series motherboard
Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel
NVIDA GTX 460

I'm not really good at this so any help would be brilliant.

Also both RAM sticks and both slots work perfectly. Computer boots as regular with only one RAM stick installed, it refuses to boot with 2 though, so I'm at a complete loss.

it's set to auto i reckon.

If i set it to 1333, would the RAM work then? Would that create any issues?

Question then is if it's really that easy?

Also, if i turn down the hz is it then worth of swaping my Kinston 4gb with the TeamElite 8gb?

You have 8GB of Team, 4GB of Kingston. Same speed. So you'd gain 4GB of RAM. I haven't looked up the RAM to compare latencies, etc., and won't, but matching RAM is always best. Go into BIOS and change the 1600 to 1333. Take it for a test drive. Report back.

If he cant get in to the bios, he cant set the speed. I would put your old sticks in, and set the speed to 1333MHz, and 1.65v. Reboot to the bios. Shut down after. THEN put your new sticks in.

Are you installing these WITH your current sticks? As that could be a problem...

Installing the new sticks on their own.

Where do I set the voltage to 1.65? where should i be looking?

also I set it to 1333 hz (didnt set it to 1.65v, dont know how) and still didnt want to boot into windows.

friend had the same problem thats how i got an 8gb set of ram for 20 bucks + my 1333 4gb set of ram no matter what we tried we couldnt get the board to boot to the 1600 ram wouldnt even post to change the frequency i think some boards just wont take it.

funny thing is that my kingston 4gb runs at 1600
and if from the 8 gb set, if i instally only 1 stick so 4gb it will boot properly

I just cant understand why it wont work.

What IS the voltage set at? You need to look in your bios and find it and make sure its set to 1.65v.

thats weird, could try to reset cmos then install all 4 sticks before booting it

I just cant seem to find the place where I can change voltages in my bios, I've been looking for the past hour.

board probably doesnt support it, it is a lower end board i think.

Is there a BIOS setting to turn off XMP profiles? I assume the PC3-12800 rating is for XMP, not slower JEDEC operation.

This isn't going to help with your situation, but don't buy DDR3 memory with a voltage rating over 1.50V because higher voltages aren't worth the boot aggravation problems. A 1.65V requirement for just PC3-12800 speed indicates really bad RAM chips were used.

Back