• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frakk

I'm looking to replace my Memory in a week or so.

I currently have these running Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel

I have adjusted them to get more out of them (Timings are 8-8-8-20 T1, 1450Mhz, 1.55v) M.O WEI is 7.7,
And MAXMem results are,-
Copy: 13000 MBs
Read: 10000 MBs
Write: 8500 MBs
9.2 GBs
Latency 55 ns

I have to say for such a cheap set they are doing a good job.

But there only 4GB and BF3 is maxing them out, i'm running at 90+ % full, especially in 64 Player maps, infact anything more than an hour gaming and my drive starts accessing the Pagefile.

I was thinking,-

G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel

Or

Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel

I really like Crucial Elite/Tactics series 1.50V like these in my thread.
This memory is even better idea for AMD as you can run 1600 7-7-7 under 1.60V.
It's just one of options as most RAM will be the same for gaming.

That GSkill is good RAM. Running 2x4 sticks of it myself. The other RAM that is good is Kinston HyperX 1600. When it comes to RAM, I find brand doesn't matter that much. It's all about speed, timing and price. Fortunately it's hard to get "bad" ram.

I prefer RAMS with smaller heatsink, such as those on GSkill and Kingstons, as there's less chance of the heatsink interfering with my CPU HSF.

Dual channel ? :)

G.skill and Corsair both gets good word of mouth.

If you use so much, you might want to get a 1866 set of Corsair Vengenace. :)

Those Crucial's also look good, i did now know about them thanks guys.

Just a note on frequency, i find that to run RAM at the higher speed i need to Overclock my CPU NB to bench faster.

As far as i'm aware the higher speed only takes effect by running a higher NB, generally this is (NB speed = 2x the RAM speed)

I'm running a CPU NB @ 2800Mhz, RAM is 1400Mhz, i have run it @ 1600Mhz and MAXMem benches the same, it only benches higher if i increase the NB speed, and my CPU cooler can't handle 4Ghz and 3200Mhz NB... it just boils the CPU. its really is a crap cooler and AMD don't like the heat like Intel's

Last edited:
Back