• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Almost at DDR3-2133 with GSkill DDR3-1600 RAM - just need some advice...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Tic=-

Registered
So I bought this kit wayyy back in the spring of 2011. 4 sticks of 4GB rated at (tCL, tRCD, tRP, tRAS) 8-8-8-24/DDR3-1600.

Series: RipjawsX
Memory Type: DDR3
Capacity: 8GB (4GBx2)
Multi-Channel Kit Dual Channel Kit
Tested Speed: 1600MHz
Tested Latency: 8-8-8-24-2N

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-12800cl8d-8gbxm

For the longest time, I was completely content running it at stock speeds. It wasn't until around last summer that I finally attempted a RAM overclock.

Without much of a hassle I was able to hit DDR3-1866 (at 10-10-10-28) with just a tad of added voltage (1.510v). This is what I've been using ever since.

Over this past weekend, I read some articles about this particular RAM coming pretty close to hitting speeds of DDR3-2133, so naturally, I wanted to see how close I could get to reaching those speeds myself.

After spending a lot of time playing around with incremental combination changes of various voltages and settings, I was finally able to boot into Windows at DDR3-2133. That was the good news.

The bad news? Unfortunately not too long after, Windows locked up on me and I was right back in the BIOS further investigating what went wrong.

I should probably mention the settings I used to achieve DDR3-2133. They were 11-11-11-34 (everything else set to "Auto,") with 1.530v.

I know at these higher clock speeds I have to relax my timings, and I thought I did because up to this point, this was the only combination that got me into Windows.

Therefore, my question is simply this: which specific category (tCL, tRCD, tRP, or tRAS) would most likely yield the stability I'm looking for with such a large overclock? What should I concentrate on tweaking the most. I feel like I'm right there...

Last edited:
Ya 1.53V is below spec for almost any 2133 kit. You're lucky you got as far as you did without higher Voltage. 1.65V might be pushing it, depending on the motherboard's specs. But 1.55-1.6V should be easy.

Find out what modules it uses and Google what timings and voltage need to be pumped for it to hit those clock speeds.

Find out what modules it uses and Google what timings and voltage need to be pumped for it to hit those clock speeds.

If you will post the first 7 digits of the serial number found on the actual module labels we can probably identify the memory chips. It just helps to know what your working with.

My first guess, with the 8-8-8-24 timings and voltage of 1.5v (per the Specs linked to in the OP) is going to be that you've got Elpida BCSE so I would expect the 5th - 7th digits of the Serial # to be "064". If that's the case, then generally Elpida 2Gbit ICs aren't at the top of the list of overclocking choices, however, every now & then they surprise.

This fella got his kit of Corsairs clocking pretty good.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...a-(M)-Thread&p=5228229&viewfull=1#post5228229

If those sticks with those timings turn out to be PSC chipped you have a good set BUT AMD's tend to not like those like Intels do.

I have at least one set like yours and they do great with my 1155 stuff but choke in my AMDs.
I have another set that's also PSC chipped but these will actually fly with my AMDs and the Intels just hate 'em - These are CL6-6-6-8-24 sticks (RipjawsX) that will go in my AMDs. I can't explain the difference but thats how it's been.

If those sticks with those timings turn out to be PSC chipped you have a good set BUT AMD's tend to not like those like Intels do.

I have at least one set like yours and they do great with my 1155 stuff but choke in my AMDs.
I have another set that's also PSC chipped but these will actually fly with my AMDs and the Intels just hate 'em - These are CL6-6-6-8-24 sticks (RipjawsX) that will go in my AMDs. I can't explain the difference but thats how it's been.

Per his link, the OP has a 2x4GB kit, so while it might be PSC based, they will be the 2Gbit ICs, not the 1Gbit ICs like the ones that do CL6, or hit 2600+ with enough voltage. Different animal all together. Aren't the kits that you're referring to in your post the 2x2GB variants?

Referring to Woomacks memory guide. If all things being equal then a set of DDR3-1333 @ 6-6-6-15 would be the same as DDR3-2666 @ 12-12-12-30. Work on tightening the timings @ 2000
If the memory runs @ 8-8-8-24 DDR3-1600 then try:
DDR3-1866 @ 8-8-8-27 or 9-8-8-25. Once you have 1866 locked in go to 2000
DDR3-2000 @ 10-8-9-27 or 9-10-10-27.
I say this because the GOOD DDR3 memory sticks are gone from the retail channel and you will not get the same back if you RMA.

Are you water cooling the RAM?????

Back