• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Having trouble OCing Phenom II X4 975 (3.6 GHz)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aar2

Registered
Whenever I try to OC my cpu to 3.9 GHz I can't start my computer. Luckily after 3 failed attempts to start, my computer resets the settings.

What could I be doing wrong?

Specs:
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2386752

RAM should be 1600 MHz but it shows as 800. I think it is since in the mobo settings, it says 1600. But whatever :p

Last edited:
YOU can follow the link below and there will be outlined the questions that we seem to have to ask of just about 85% of the people that come here asking for help with a simple overclock.

Those that might help have to have the same information from anyone trying to overclock an AMD processor.

Trouble overclocking Phenom II x4 965 BE

What has been your method of overclocking to this point? Were you using some auto overclocking genier in bios or some Windows software? Or were you manually manipulating individual settings in bios?

If you are using CPU-z to check system settings, realize that it will report the RAM speed at half of what you expect. The reason is that CPU-z is reporting the ram bus speed, not the DDRx transfer rate which is twice the bus frequency.

Also, it looks like your core voltage may be too low to overclock further. CPU-z shows it at 1.408. I would think you would need more than that to get a higher overclock but high core temps may also be limiting you. What CPU cooler are you using? We need more info about your system. Have you monitored the core temps with HWMonitor while stressing the system for say, 20 minutes with the Prime95 blend test? If not, download these two programs and check that please.

We would like more info about yours system. All we know is what CPU, motherboard, GPU and ram you have. It would also be good to know about your case make and model (and how many case fans you have) to get an idea of how good you ventilation is and also to know about your CPU cooler and your PSU make and model.

Last edited:
Okay, well my case is an Antec 300:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

I overclocked my CPU using AMD Overdrive and got a 4.2 GHz stable overclock, I've noticed I can max out a game and maintain 150 FPS where as it would have noticeably worse FPS. I no longer need to turn my settings all the way down for Max FPS. =D

I think my problem is solved, thanks anyways guys!

I think my problem is solved, thanks anyways guys!

:clap: Good deal. Glad you seem to have it sorted to your satisfaction. The only further suggestion would be to run Prime95 in blend mode for a couple of hours to test for stability, maybe a very good idea. I would have HWMonitor open on the desktop during the couple of hours of blend with P95 so that you can see the min/max temps of cpu/cpu core. HWMonitor will also log the max voltages if open on desktop while P95 is doing blend test for stability.

Good luck.

Back